And A Wife

2013

“Are you insane?” Stevie hissed at him the moment she stepped into his hotel suite.

“What got your pant...” He was beginning, but silenced pretty quickly when seeing her face, red in anger. 

“Don’t even think about my panties.” She rushed past him and kept standing in the middle of the room. “Or maybe you should finally stop thinking about them. So you wouldn’t give so absolutely idiotic answers.”

“Stevie, good god what are you talking about?” Lindsey was still not any wiser.

He had been surprised when hearing the urgent knocks at his door, and he had been even more surprised to find Stevie standing there, a look on her face as if she wasn’t too short from killing him.

“What am I talking about?” She asked back. “Are you completely out of your mind? Do you really have no idea what I might talk about?”

“Don’t you think I would ask if I did?” He got irritated by her behavior.

But Lindsey, knowing that Stevie could develop a wrath from hell in no time, took a deep breath and sat down on the couch in the living room area.

“Do you have any idea who I got off the phone with like two minutes ago?” Stevie wanted to know.

She kept standing in front of him, glaring at him.

“I guess you have to tell me.” He tried to stay calm.

“Your wife.” She clued him in. “Your wife called me, not knowing what to do anymore after the last stunt you obviously just pulled.”

“Why would Kristen call you?” Lindsey was even more confused now than before. “And what do you think I did now?”

“That interview you did, this morning. Does that ring some bells?” She was still livid. “Though I have to give one thing to one of those people for daring to ask this question.”

Taking a deep breath and rubbing his eyes, Lindsey finally knew what she was talking about. He had been on the phone with some guys of a radio station and had given an interview. And one of them had asked him about the possibility if he and Stevie were coming back together. But he had denied that, told them there wasn’t a change, he had a family.

“I didn’t say anything that might have gotten you into this mood.” He defended himself. “It wasn’t as if I told them that we’re having something going on. I said no, cause I have a family.”

“Oh no, you didn’t.” Stevie screamed, finally losing the last bit of patience she had been having for him. “You said you have three kids. And what about Kristen? You have a wife, god damn it. A wife who sits at home, and who is obviously this short from having too much of your shit.”

“Sure I did say that...” He was trying to interject but had no chance, Stevie was livid now.

“You didn’t. If you had I wouldn’t have been having that conversation with your wife. And she’s pissed.” She told him. “And the thing is I can perfectly understand her. Believe me, if I were her, this would have been the moment where I would divorce your ass.”

She saw the panic coming to his eyes. Sighing Stevie shook her head at him and sat down next to him.

“She won’t.” She soothed him. “Not yet. Lindsey, I know she has like the most astonishing confidence to take as much as she had so far. But if you don’t watch it, you’ll push even her too far.”

“I didn’t do that on purpose.” Lindsey looked up, for some reason silently pleading with her to believe him.

“I know. I would have most likely reacted the same way.” She smiled at him. “But whenever someone asks me something like this, I try to remember that you’re not only a father, but married as well.”

“You’ve been asked that before.”

“No, I haven’t.” Stevie shook her head. “They asked me how we were getting along, but never directly if there was a chance that we might get back together, what we won’t.”

“You always say that.” He replied.

“And I mean it.” She smiled. “Lindsey, it might not seem for everyone that I’m actually happy, but I am. I’m happy that I can do whatever I want. And if someday someone steps into my life who can handle my life and who I totally fall in love with, it’s good. If not, it’s good as well.”

“You and I know that you are a horrible actress.” Lindsey shook his head at her.

“I didn’t say that I don’t love you anymore.” She smiled. “I will always love you. But I’m not in love you anymore. I love you, but it’s not this crazy all consuming thing anymore. And that’s good, I’m good, finally.”

“Love you, too.” He answered and pulled her close.

Slightly reluctantly she gave in, wanting to tell him to not do what she knew he would. And indeed, after all the time they had spend together, she had known exactly that the kiss would come down on the side of her head. But it didn’t linger as long as some of the kisses had in the past, for that she was glad. Stevie knew he loved his wife, was in love with her now. And she had, after a very long time finally gotten over him as well. It was true, they loved each other, shared something that they still hadn’t understood completely, but all there was between them was a deep and caring friendship.