Say Goodbye - 3

"No." She whispered, shaking her head before turning it so she knew her lips were unreachable for him.

"I thought you still..." He tried to pry her head up.

But she escaped his hold. Shaking her head and tried to slip past him. She couldn't let this happen now. But he didn't let her go, only trapping her further between the wall and him.

"Lindsey, no please." Stevie begged him.

"Just a kiss?" He asked.

"Not now." Her hands came up, pushing against his shoulders. "You are right, I still love you. Which is why I can't do this now."

"She left, I promise." Lindsey told her again.

"I heard that too often." She admitted, looking away from him again. "The promise she left, or that they'll leave... a whispered I love you and they thought everything was good." She went back to the couch, pausing until she sat, looking up at him with some distant pain in her eyes. "I know the game so well. And I am tired of it. You wouldn't believe how tired... Lindsey I know what they said about me, what they still say. I know they call me a whore... oh there she is, fucking a married man again. But he... no one ever blamed them. Men can do whatever they want, can fuck whoever they want, but if a woman dares to do the same, she's the whore. She's the one who is to blame for the guy not being able to keep it in." She knew he was surprised at her, but she just carried on, bluntly and her voice ridden of all emotions. "I did not force anyone, I didn't cast some kind of spells. It was their decision. Does someone care about how many times I had my heart ripped out, hearing promises of happily ever afters, being so stupid to believe them every time... No, Stevie I love you, I'll leave her. I'll talk to her as soon as I'm back home. Oh, of course they talked, and the wives said they could try again if they dumped me. Next thing I know is my phone ringing, being told they are sorry, but it's over, they try it again."

"Stevie I'd never lie to you about this." He told her, not believing how open she was with him right now. Her past relationships weren't something she discussed much, and especially not with him. "I love you."

"And I learned my lesson." Stevie laughed bitterly. "If you really love me, come back when everything's settled. But please, I'm not asking much from you, but please, continue to be the one man who saw more in me than a quick and easy fuck. We kept our hands to ourselves for so long now, if we are meant to be, we can wait. But please, don't tell me you love me, want to be with me and then toss me aside." Her voice was pleading as she looked up at him. "Getting involved with a married man isn't a good idea at all, but I think that I had deserved some happiness along the way."

"Then I'll come back." He promised, coming to kneel down in front of her.

"Don't." She smiled sadly, reaching out to touch his face for a short time before pulling back. "No more promises. If you come around, you will. If not, I won't have to wait until forever."

He tried to talk, but the way she shook her head, Lindsey knew that she didn't want to hear anything. She feared things would only stay the same, she would get her heart involved and then have it shattered. Leaning in, she kissed his cheek, something she had done a lot more often during the past year.

"Go now." She whispered.

Stevie didn't wait until he left, she didn't even wait until he got up before she did so, leaving the room and locking herself into the bedroom. She tried to tell herself that there had been no promises made, that there was no guarantee that things would work out this time. But her heart had once more gotten involved already. And now she feared it would be broken once more.

This actually turned out way different than I first had it in mind. I hope you still like it. If you want more, let me know. And thank you so much everyone for reading.
Xoxo, Dani