chapter 95: school and letters

" The love between a father and a daughter knows no distance

" The love between a father and a daughter knows no distance."

- unknown

***

( a/n ) hey everyone! merry chrismtas, happy holidays, happy hanukah, or happy whatever holiday you celebrate! as an *early* christmas treat from me, i decided to upload a chapter for you all!! there may be another uploaded tonight or tomorrow, but i wanted to give you all a chapter to enjoy! i hope you all end up having a wonderful holiday and that you are all safe, healthy and happy. i'm grateful for all of you and all the motivation you've given me this year through uploading it. i can't thank you all enough!! merry christmas!! and just so you all remember, jude law plays charlotte's father roland tarvers!! 

***

Once the family arrived home back in Chincoteague, Charlotte started back at school the following Monday. Louis dropped her off at school that morning, kissing her forehead gently, before she turned away and walked up the steps of the high school. As she walked in, she noticed plenty of other boys and girls who'd left early for the war, and were returning to finish senior year. A few of those people being Vera and John. Vera, well, she had tried to get into the Nurses Corps and she'd been bailed out because of how she couldn't handle blood, and well that was kinda in the job description, so she ended up staying back at pubs and bars across England and the US 'entertaining' a multitude of soldiers. And she seemed even more stuck up than she'd ever been. Charlotte walked into the school, and was immediately attacked by a gaggle of freshmen girls that wanted to talk to the young medic. She had smiled and answered their questions quickly, before sidestepping them and hurrying over to her old locker. The noise was too loud, the clanging of the lockers, the voices, the feet against the floor. Everything was too loud. 

" Hey Charlie." she heard a voice say, and she snapped immediately out of the trance looking to MJ, who was returning as well. Clyde was older, and was staying at her home with her father, who was older now, helping with yard work and keeping the house clean because of her mother's death.

" Oh, hey, MJ." she whispered softly, glancing around the school again with a sigh.

" You ok?" MJ asked.

" It's really loud." Charlotte said, glancing around the school. It was like a sledgehammer in her mind, pounding with each footsteps or voice that walked by, mixing together.

" Let's just get to class, these kids are too insane." MJ muttered, and gently took Charlotte's arm into their english class. As they sat quietly in their seats, a few whispers went up around the room and Charlotte only rolled her eyes. But her heart stopped when she looked up and saw John and Vera walk in. More like John walked in, and Vera was right behind him, hanging off him practically. And they looked different. John's hair was cut shorter, gelled back and sleek, he was more chiseled, his features hardened as well, his skin toned and tanned, looking smart in his clothes, taller, and very handsome. Vera's blonde hair was even more pinned up and put together, her clothes looking more expensive, and looking more prude than ever. Charlotte felt small, her cheeks heating as John walked into the room, freezing when he noticed Charlotte in the chair. John noticed she had her hair in the braids he'd seen all over the papers and in the pictures with Easy Company. She had a cold-hardened face as well, and she was still short and rather tiny, but she hadn't seemed to change much else except that she'd grown more. He thought of all the pictures he'd seen of Easy, and how happy she'd looked with all the men she served with. Charlotte by now had averted her eyes from John and Vera walking in and was rather looking outside at the bright sunshine.