chapter 92: the meaning of 'i love you'

" There are friends, there's family, and then there are friends that become family

" There are friends, there's family, and then there are friends that become family."

- unknown

***

( a/n ) hey everyone! i'm sorry i've been away so long. i've been extremely stressed with school work and maintaining good grades, as well as sick, but i found a free moment to upload for you all. i'm so thankful for all your reads, comments and votes. they always make me so happy! i'm glad this story makes you all happy! enjoy! this one's sad too, but they will get happier.

***

As Charlotte neared the rest of the men, she wiped at her eyes, and used a tissue to blow her nose and clear herself up. She grabbed her hat, and adjusted it on her head with her braids. She still envisioned the smile on Speirs face as she turned the corner. He wasn't scared of the future, because he already knew it, and that's what she loved about him. She rubbed her eyes again, getting rid of any remaining tears as she approached the truck where she saw people like George, Perconte, Babe, Liebgott, Gene, Webster, Bull, Martin, and Tab.

" Sunshine!" she heard George's voice call. She looked up, blocking the bright sun from her face and smiling seeing George holding out a hand to the girl. She smiled grabbing it and having him lift her up into the truck.

" Thanks, George." she said with a smile, sitting between him and Liebgott.

" 'Course, sunshine." he said, getting comfortable on the truck with a smile and yawning.

" So you say good bye?" Liebgott asked her nodding to the town of Zell Am See where the building was with the officers.

" Yeah." she said, " It wasn't easy." Liebgott watched the girl touch the ring that wasn't there before, on her finger.

" That's pretty." Liebgott said, gently taking her hand in his, and admiring it.

" Who's it from?" he asked her. Her cheeks flamed red, but this was Lieb, the man who had been one of her closest friends since her first day at Toccoa.

" Um." she bit her lip, and looked at Liebgott.

" Speirs." she said quietly. Liebgott's eyes grew wide, and then he smiled.

" Has something been going on between you two?" he asked, admiring the ring again. Charlotte's cheeks grew red again.

" I mean, I guess." she said softly, her cheeks remaining inflamed.

" You getting married?" Liebgott asked.

" No!" she said, but then got quiet, trying not to attract anymore eyes. " No, I mean I don't know, it's just a promise ring, that he'll see me again, since I probably won't see him again until December."