chapter 32: aldbourne

" Everything you are going through is preparing you for what you asked for

" Everything you are going through is preparing you for what you asked for."

- unknown

***

( a/n ) ahhh i know 3rd chapter in a day! i'm trying to pump out as many as possible, since most of the story is already written and edited, mostly before school starts and my heavy, intense marching band season, but i hope you are all enjoying the story!

***

The next morning, when Charlotte woke, Joe's side of the bed was empty, and the sun was filtering in through the open window. She sat up quickly, feeling better than yesterday and stood up. She rubbed her eyes and walked to the door, opening it up. She walked down the stairs, in her huge PT shirt, and shorts, barefoot and into the kitchen. She stopped seeing an English breakfast on the table, the kids sitting around eating, Mrs Fredricks handing out toast, and Joe smoking a smoke, reading the paper and sipping coffee.

" Charlie!" squealed Thomas, nearly jumping up from his seat. Everyone turned to face the girl who'd just woken up. She let out a yawn and a smile at the group.

" Now, I know what that Airborne calls food, but I'm sure this is 10x's better." Mrs Fredricks mused as she placed toast on Charlotte's plate as she sat down. Charlotte cracked a smirk, as she sipped her coffee. She added lots of sugar and cream, and curled her legs up staring out the window as she sipped her coffee. It was weird being in a home again, with a solid roof, and an actual breakfast to eat. She ate all the beans and the bacon, as well as the sausages called bangers apparently. She ate all the buttered toast and fried tomatoes from the garden. She also enjoyed the fried eggs, which she hadn't eaten in about a year. She had two cups of coffee, and the funny and wonderful conversations that ensued over breakfast calmed the young medic down. Charlotte was going with Mary and her friends into town and she didn't have a clue of what to wear. There was a knock on the door and Charlotte immediately pulled it open. Mrs Fredricks stood there with a piece of clothing and shoes in her hands.

" Mrs Fredricks." she breathed out, stressed.

" I know you probably don't even have clothes with you besides your uniform, so I wanted to help you out." she said, stepping into the room. She held up a beautiful yellow dress covered in white flower patterns, and a pair of brown Mary-Janes to go along with it. Charlotte smiled thinking of her best friend.

" I've had this dress forever, and it still fits, but I figured you would put better use to it than me." she said. Charlotte looked up, smiling at the woman.

" Thank you." she sighed wrapping her arms around the woman. She pulled back and hurried into the bathroom, changing from her PT gear into the dress. She hadn't worn something this beautiful since her prom 2 years ago. She stepped out of the bathroom, braids from her hair undone and pinned back from her face. Mrs Fredrick smiled happily clasping her hands together.