chapter 88: d-day plus 434

" Gratitude turns what we have into enough

" Gratitude turns what we have into enough."

- Aesop

( a/n ) i just wanted to give you all a huge thank you for encouraging me to continue writing this story, and giving me reads, comments and votes, that made me want to write this story for you. i appreciate all my readers so much! thank you!!

***

July faded to August, and Easy was moved to tents in a field under the mountains in big fields. Easy Company had been receiving mail call when a voice began calling out.

" Tarvers! Tarvers! Tarvers, you gotta see this!" she heard Vest yelling as she sat by Skinny and Gene.

" Vest! Here I am!" she yelled arm raised. Vest sprinted over, placing a paper, with a large heading on the top straight into her hands. She glanced at the paper and then around at the group that had gathered.

" Well what is it?" someone called out from the back.

" An article." she said, reading the title.

" Whatcha waiting for sunshine?" someone else called out. Charlotte smiled and cleared her throat.

Sunshine Soldier by Ernest Whitten

When you think of the word sunshine, you think of this bright, happy, light that floods in at the right time. It seems that's what Sergeant Charlotte Tarvers was for Easy Company, part of the 506th, 2nd Battalion of the 101st Airborne Division. I'd been home at the time, eating a banana, about to head to work on my newest report on updates from England and Moscow on the war, when news rushed in about a woman, by the name of Charlotte E. Tarvers that had entered as a recruit for the Paratroopers, a new concept in military history. The Airborne would go on to become one fo the most prestige and high end elite groups in the military of this time period.

Articles spread after the young woman had joined. Many were bad, and I felt disgusted as I read them. I told myself I'd write an amazing article on her one day and show people exactly why this young girl would be amazing. There were interviews with members of Easy, and leaders of other regiments on their opinions of the young lady. Truth be told, I wasn't sure what to think of a woman in the Airborne, but I had no say it what a woman could do. There were articles and pictures from D-Day featuring the young woman's heroics and sacrifices she made for the men in her company as a combat medic.