chapter 71: oklahoma!

" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart

" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."

- Helen Keller

***

The men came in and found the two asleep, the book sprawled on the ground between the two. The girl's eyes were puffy, deep dark black circles underneath them. She was clutching Webster who held her protectively, like a small child. Webster awoke, feeling the eyes and then looked over at the young girl. Liebgott came over, and helped maneuver the young girl onto her bed. She immediately clutched her pillow tightly, and curled into another ball. Liebgott pulled the blanket over her small figure before heading back to his own bed and watching the girl with sad eyes. But at that moment as she slept, she was happy and content, knowing her brothers whom she loved were there for her. Charlotte and Gene sat a few days later together at breakfast, going over medical procedures. After being told they would be moving back onto the line, the two ranking medics got to work on clearing up their skills. They packed what they could from the aid station into trucks before they set off for Sturzelburg, Germany. They'd entered Germany, officially now. The town was intake and so were many of the citizens. The mothers steered curious children away, while fathers looked distasteful. Young teenage women looked on with flirty eyes, while younger teenage boys who couldn't join the war yet, tried to act tougher than they perceived. The men looted, fraternized when told not to, and flirted. Charlotte didn't do any of it, but she'd chuckle when she saw the men do it and failed. She kept to herself mostly, but she enjoyed hanging with the guys in the unusual warmth they hadn't had in so long. It turned out their CO was also a big looter. Gene switched shifts with the girl, so she'd go and help Speirs as he went around looting houses and taking whatever she pleased. She followed after Speirs up the large staircase, a large fancy silver thing that she had no idea the name of in her arms already.

" Janovec!" Speirs called as they walked down the hallway. Speirs turned and pushed open the door. She followed after and froze at the sight before her. Her cheeks flamed to a completely different color as she stared at Janovec in his birthday suit.

" Sir. Ma'am." Janovec saluted completely naked. There was a naked woman in the bed too. The things in her arm clattered to the ground. Speirs seemed frozen for a bit, but the respectful man he was, kept his eyes on Janovec's eyes.

" Where's my stuff?" he asked, sideway look thrown to Charlotte who began picking his items up again.

" I thought I'd leave it over there, sir." Janovec said pointing to the tray of loot behind the two higher ups. Speirs turned and slid his tray into his hands, the entire time, Charlotte's eyes not leaving Janovec's, as her face continued to heat. She hadn't expected that that would be the time she'd see that.

" Let's go, Sunshine." Speirs said, a hand on the girl's shoulder, turning her away from the sight with wide eyes. She led the way down the stairs, Speirs behind her as she opened the door and the two headed outside. They walked side by side, her face still a completely different color. Speirs looked over at the girl, and smirked to himself. A loud beeping came by and Speirs pulled back the girl from also being run over by a truck that also held Captain Nixon, who supposedly parachuted in with the 17th Airborne. She looked up at Speirs confused, before looking back and seeing Nixon turn back and look at the two.