chapter 46: gotta penny?

" A hero is somebody who voluntarily walks into the unknown

" A hero is somebody who voluntarily walks into the unknown."

- Tom Hanks

***

The following morning, Gene was right there with Charlotte making sure she was ok.

" Gene it's ok, I'm fine, I promise." she said, gently squeezing his hand at breakfast.

" Are you sure you're fine?" he asked her. " If I need to talk to Winters-"

" Gene." she whispered, and squeezed his hand gently, " it's ok." Gene sighed.

" You may say it's ok, but I'm never leaving you to walk back to the barracks alone again, alright." She smiled at the concern in his voice.

" Alright, Gene." she said, and squeezed his hand gently. The next few days, Easy stayed closer to Charlotte than they ever did, taking her to every meal, hanging out in the barracks with her, and making sure someone would walk home with her from the aid station. Sure, Gene felt guilty and terrible because of what happened, which made him consistently take the blame and be the one with her at all times, but she would say that it's not his fault, it's no ones but those 5 men, and that would calm Gene down for the moment. A few nights later, Charlotte sat close to George Luz, cuddled against him like an innocent 4 year old watching old morning shows with their dad, except they were on the other side of the world.

" Look at me. I'm John Wayne." Luz, muttered, " The costume department set me up with these great navy whites." Charlotte couldn't help but giggle at the snide comment, and it only set off her giggles more when Toye and Lip swung around telling him to shut up. They did soften though when they noticed Charlotte there, giggling and actually happy for once. They'd seen too many unhappy days with her that they would let George slid for the moment.

" I've seen this movie 13 times, okay?' Luz muttered.

" Well, I haven't so shut up." Toye spat, which made Charlotte laugh more, curling tighter into a ball to hold in the giggles.

" Watch the movie, it's fine!" Luz said with big eyes.

" Hey Skip!" Malarkey yelled, running in, which made the whole room erupt into 'shh's' and 'c'mons. She only could laugh quietly to herself.

" Jesus!" someone yelled, and that sent Toye and Lip yelling again. Charlotte had to smile. The group of men with her now were finally in some joy, with a good movie to watch and she was there in the middle of it. 

" Lip, favorite part." Luz muttered, slapping the man's shoulder in front. Luz winked at Charlotte who giggled.

" Got a penny?" Luz whispered.

" Got a penny?" she then whispered with a more heavy accent. Luz forced down the chuckle, as he puffed out his smoke.

" Got a penny?" he said louder, and Charlotte nearly snorted.