› nineteen: legacy.

some people survive chaos and that is how they grow. and some people thrive in chaos, because chaos is all they know.

— nikita gill.

———

No.

No, no, no!

What is he doing?!

“Inosuke!” You cried out, raising your sword as your eyes never left him—flesh hands swelling up and increasing in number, grabbing at him, surrounding him, as if he was being consumed by the flesh—

“Breath of the Moon, Fourteenth Style: Crescent Moon!”

With a quick, curved slash, you sliced the demon hands surrounding Inosuke with ease—freeing him from the clutches of the demon multiples hands; but, they did not stay ‘dead,’ for long, creeping up from the floorboards once again.

“Inosuke! (Name)!” Tanjirou cried, slicing demon hands as he entered the driver’s car, eyes widened. He was panting heavily, grip on his sword tight as he looked over to the two of you in worry. “Are you okay?”

You hummed, scrunching your nose as your eyes shifted to the wooden floorboards beneath your feet. Tapping it lightly with the sole of the jika-tabi, you spoke up. “The demon’s neck is right below us…hah. How easy to find. He wasn’t even trying to be subtle.”

Tanjirou nodded. “Yeah! The smell is stronger here! Inosuke, try sla—!”

“I know! Don’t order me around!” Inosuke interjected hotly, glaring at the boy through his mask. “Beast Breathing, Second Fang: Rip and Tear!”

With ease, he slashed his swords in an x motion against the wooden floorboards, revealing the demon’s neck—bone, flesh, nerves, blood, and all. You scrunched your nose in distaste. You’ve been doing that a lot today. Hah.

Tanjirou breath hitches in his throat—however, he doesn’t miss a beat of raising his sword, ready to slice the demon’s neck. “Water Breathing, Eighth Style: Waterfall Jar!”

He doesn’t make it far. No, instead, the demon blocks it—numerous clumps of flesh arms rising out of the demon’s neck, making it’s last attempt to protect itself and regenerates quickly. You mutter frustrated curses under your breath, grip on your sword tightening.

“(Name)! Inosuke! Let’s try combining our attacks! One of us cuts the flesh and two of us sever the bone!” Tanjirou suggests hurriedly, readying his sword.

“Got it! Good idea!” Inosuke agreed, raising his sword to prepare himself to use his Second Fang once more.

“…Eyes of Forced Unconscious Sleep.”

Bulging eyes that pulsed with veins, glowing yellow eyes etched with black kanji that read “dream,” met your own, immediately causing you to black out—the familiar haunting dream of Mother and Grandmother literally looking down upon you coming back once again.

No.

No!

This isn’t real!

All you could do is raise your sword into your chest and plunge it, once again gaining consciousness; but, the eyes are everywhere; you couldn’t look away without losing consciousness once again.

Inosuke, though, had better luck—his mask didn’t allow the Blood Art to get to his line of sight. Hah. I need me a mask too

Wait.