One Month

The days seemed to drag on longer then they should. Each second felt like a minute, each minute felt like an hour. I haven't seen Wes for a month now. I have two more months until I see him again.

Apparently, Wes does keep his promises. Maybe more than I had originally wished. I hear from him every so often. Sometimes he doesn't call or text for four days at a time. The only way I know he's alive is because he posts an Instagram picture for his fans every day.

The studio life has been exhausting. I didn't sleep in my own bed for two nights because I spent the night at the studio writing until 2 am then waking up at 6am to do it again.

My new single will be out in a few weeks. I sent it to Wes two days ago but he hasn't replied.

I'm going to the studio again today. My buzzer just rang. Anne must be here to pick me up. I put on my converse and grabbed my purse and walked downstairs. Anne was waiting in front of my apartment.

"You really do need a license. And a car." She added to me, not looking up from her phone.

"This is on your way to the studio! I don't want to drive. I'm perfectly fine skating or riding my bike."

"Why?" Anne asked, still typing an email while driving down the road.

I reached over and grabbed her phone and put it in the back seat. "Because of exactly that. Texting and driving and look you are going fifty miles an hour. You are practically missing everything around you. Biking and skating slows things down."

Anne rolled her eyes as we merged onto the freeway. "Nothing To Lose" came on the radio and I reached to turn the station. "What was that for?" Anne wondered while trying to turn it back.

"Please, don't." I said and she set her hand back on the steering wheel. "It's hard not being with him and his music is a perfect reminder that he is gone."

"Do you talk?"

"Rarely."

"Are you still dating then?"

"I think so." I wondered about that often. We didn't end it at the airport but the way we are now, I feel like I don't even know him.

"I'm sure everything is fine. You see him in a couple months." She tried comforting me. We pulled into the studio parking lot and walked in. I met with some of the writers I've been with the past month and we threw out ideas for songs today.

"Okay. You have "Who You Are" as your single, an inspiring song. We have completed the 5 other songs on your album that are pop. That was the labels agreement. You produce 5 pop songs and the rest of the styles are your choice." Jacob, a writer from New York, reminded me.

"I think I want to do an acoustic relationship song."

Every writer in the room looked up from their papers and stared at me. Since the beginning of our writing sessions I swore off relationship songs because it would be too hard after Wes had left. "Are you sure?" Jacob asked, speaking for the whole room.

I nodded, "Yes, I think I'm ready."

Jacob smiled. "Perfect. That's today's song then."

My idea was to make it a boyfriend who is busy and you miss him. However, the way all of the writers and I phrased the lyrics made it sound like the boyfriend doesn't love the girlfriend. That's not what I wanted. The emotion was coming from Wes and I, I know Wes loves me.

"What if I hide my emotions in someone else's story?" The looks I got told me they were quite confused. "I'm talking about missing my boyfriend but we are making it seem like he doesn't love me, which he does. What if we change the story to a busy dad and a neglected daughter. Same emotion, different story to hide behind." Everyone got excited and began to rephrase the lines to make it more innocent as if a little girl was singing it to her dad.

"Excellent! Come on! Let's record it!" Jacob was my favorite to write with because he got excited by every form of progress. I recorded it and, by far, it was my favorite song on the album.

After a long but shorter-than-usual studio session, we decided to give each other the night off. Everyone began to pack up and I was on the phone with Anne. I hung up and Jacob was the only one left cleaning up. He was having trouble with the knotted mic chord.

"Here let me help you." I offered and walked over to undo the mess.

"Thanks. Usually you are gone by now." He added.

"Well, Anne is still in a meeting so I will have to wait around."

"For how long?"

"An hour or so."

Jacob laughed. "That's a while. Would you like to come to dinner? Just since you have to wait. Not a date or anything, we both aren't single."

"Sure that will be fun." Jacob smiled and we finished cleaning the studio up. We walked to his car and I texted Anne where to pick me up.

"Do you mind if I have my girlfriend meet us? This is the first night in a while that I've been off work."

"Of course! But now I wish I would have stayed at the studio. I don't want to intrude."

He laughed. "No, not at all. She would love to meet you, she's a big fan!"

"Well in that case, I'd love to meet her!"

Jacob explained that his parents own a pizza place. We pulled up and walked inside. It was a cute place and there was pizza ready for us. Jacob's girlfriend, Marissa, met us and had dinner. They are both my age and it was fun hanging out with people who are like me and not people like...well Anne. After I ate, Anne picked me up and brought me home.

I fell asleep and had days pass much like this one. On my way to the studio, my phone rang and I looked down to see Wes was calling.

"Hey babe! How are you?" I asked when I answered the call.

"Whose Jacob?" He quickly asked, not even greeting me.

"Excuse me?"

"Who the hell is Jacob?"

"One of my writers, why?"

"Did you happen to go out with him recently?"

"Yes, I went to dinner with him-"

"I knew it."

"To meet his girlfriend, who is a fan of mine. If you must know." I quickly replied. He remained quiet on the other end. "Do you not trust me?"

"My friend sent me a picture of you and some guy opening the door for you at a restaurant and the article said-"

"The magazine. As in paparazzi. The people that get paid to lie just so the public can read drama." He was again silent. I was beginning to get frustrated.

"I'm sorry I just got mad and didn't think, that was wrong of me."

"You don't talk to me for days at a time and you can't even give me feedback on my music! But, oh you can call me to accuse me of cheating on you!"' Silence again on the other end.

"I listened to your song. It's really good. I'm sorry I forgot to reply."

"What is the song about?" I quizzed him.

There was silence on the other end.

"Right, well I have to go to the studio again today. I'll be sure to ask you if it's okay to go out to dinner with anyone else. Bye Wes. Have a great show tonight." I hung up and began to feel tears coming.

"What's wrong?" Anne asked.

"I hate long distance relationships!" I said through my tears.

A/N:

This is Juliet's first month without Wes. Hope you enjoyed! Vote, Comment, Share.

xo