The Truth & First Dates

The sun over the hilltops woke me and I struggled to fully wake up as the events of the previous night hit me. I had a successful relationship, with no drama, for 24 hours. Now, Wes and I are faced with the unsettling idea that we will be apart for 4 months with different schedules and time zones. 

"It didn't work, Jeff!" I heard Anne whisper-yell as I assumed she was talking on the phone. "Of course we don't want them together! That's not what I'm saying! I'm saying we need a better plan." My mind made the connection after a few minutes of putting 'Jeff' and Anne's statement together. There's no way. Did they purposely do this to us? Would they purposely do this to us? "Press reports will go crazy if this goes further! It. can't. happen." She stated. My mind was going crazy as I thought of what to do. I looked at the time and realized Wes would be in an interview which meant that calling him wasn't an option. 

"I don't care what you do they caan't see-um uh hey! Good morning!" Anne pulled her conversation to a quick stop as I emerged from the back of the bus. 

"Morning." I yawned and pretended to rub my eyes as if I hadn't heard anything. I couldn't hear Anne's final words to Jeff as she hung up. "Do you know where Wes is right now?." I spoke with a casual tone. 

"He should be leaving from the radio station to meet us at the stadium. How are you guys?" Anne asked after taking a seat by me.

"We are great! I'm just so happy that everyone close to us is supportive even though everyone in the crowd may not be." Anne shifted in her seat uncomfortably. 

"Juliet, I-"

"-Would never manipulate our relationship? That would just be one of the cruelest things anyone could do. You would then be just as mean as those girls that used to bully me in school and, now, the girls who bully me online. Daily. That's not you, Anne, is it?" I asked while staring into her eyes. I knew Anne had never been like a best friend to me but I never would have imagined her to be an enemy either.

After thinking of how this conversation would go down, I imagined things breaking and people yelling but I never imagined myself to almost cry and get choked up. The longer I stared at Anne, the faster a tear formed in my eye and slid down my cheek. 

"Of course not." Anne said to me. I knew that she had realized I had heard her conversation. 

"Great. Then call Jeff and call off your little plan. Wes and I don't care that people talk. We know. We are happy either way." I took a deep breath and cleared my face again. "Please, be more than a manager for me. Be a friend. You know what I've been through and this is the happiest I've been in a long time. Please, please, please don't mess this up for me."

Anne silently took her phone and got up to make a phone call. Minutes later she returned. "Jeff and I support your relationship 100%. I saw how much the press would blow up if it was confirmed that you were together...I guess I just didn't want to see this hurt you like it did before. I was trying to protect you from what could be. I went about it in the wrong manner, I apologize."

Through watery eyes, I smiled and held Anne's hand. I didn't know how to reply, so I didn't. Anne understood and I left her to go get ready.

Within hours I was back in the arms of my boyfriend retelling the story. At first he was mad, then sad, then happy, then mad, then happy again. When I had finished, Wes pulled me close to him and held me for a while. His hands were on my lower back and didn't move. He gazed into my eyes. "Nobody will take you away from me."

I have heard words similar to that before. "How do you know?" I quizzed him. 

"I simply won't let them." He said and kissed me softly. My body was protected in his. With him, nothing could hurt me. Nothing and no one could effect me if Wesley was near. He was all I needed. My whole word.