Chapter 20 - The Anniversary

My eyes slowly flickered open, adjusting to the light that was streaming through the slight parting in the curtains. I shifted onto my side and looked at the calendar, then the clock.

June 28th, 7:30am

Today is the 8th anniversary of my parents death.

'Should I go to school? No. I'll just end up coming back anyways.'

I went to reach for my phone to call in sick, but a knock at my door came first.

I quickly got up and changed into my white baggy t-shirt and grey sweat pants. I headed out of my room and reluctantly opened my door.

"Good morning." The pair of annoying twins chimed.

Despite not having grabbed my glasses, I could still tell it was them by their puffy auburn hair and uniform.

"What do you want?" I asked annoyed.

"We were gonna give you a lift to school, but you're not ready yet." Karou began.

"But I guess we can wait." Hikaru finished.

"Then you'll be waiting until tomorrow." I told them.

"Why?" They questioned.

"Because I'm not going to school today."

"Why?"

"None of your business! Now can you leave." I spat, closing the door.

I trudged back into my room and sat on my bed. I was about to climb back in it but...

Knock.

There was a knock from my bedroom door.

"What do you want?" I called.

The door quietly opened and Hikaru stepped in.

"I want to know why you're not going to school today and why you were so upset yesterday." He claimed.

"Well then too bad for you because I'm not going to-" I stopped.

Hikaru had sat down next to me and took hold of my hand.

"W-what are you-?"

"Kino.." He began, looking right into my eyes. "I know there's something upsetting you, and the fact that I don't know what it is and if I can help or not is killing me. Please, can you please just tell me why?"

"You wanna know why? Why I was so upset yesterday. And why I refuse to go to school today?"

He nodded.

"Its because today...is the 8th anniversary... Of... My parents... Death." My voice was starting to break and I could feel tears starting to roll down my checks and land on my hand.

I felt a pair of arms wrap around my body and pull me into an embrace. I snuggled deeper into Hikaru's chest and let the tears pour out.

"I'm sorry" he whispered. "I shouldn't of pushed you to tell me what was wrong. I should have just stayed out of it and accepted the fact you didn't want to tell me.... I tend to do that a lot don't I? I'm sorry..."

"No. It's not your fault." I whispered back, my voice wobbly from my crying. "I should have told you yesterday, when you first asked. It was bound to come out sooner or later. I just tried to press it all back. Like you said before, it's not good to bottle it all up."

We just sat there in silence until my tears stopped. It was about 7:45 when I checked the clock.

"Well, me and Karou better get going. If we don't wanna be late, that is." Hikaru said. "you still don't wanna go?"