1~Life

If only one could time travel into the future, then I wouldn't be kept on suspense the way i was now.

I've been trying to call Ramson for the past two days now and he hasn't returned any of my calls.

It's Valentine's tomorrow and he was MIA. Joke has been bragging about the gifts she'd receive from her boyfriends and how they told her they have something special already planned for her.

Joke was never one to be with one man, double dating was what she specialized more on so as not to get an unexpected heartbreak.

Since when I asked Ramson what he'd get me for Valentine's two days ago, he had stopped picking my calls.

At first, the phone rang and with time it went to; ' the customer you are calling is currently unreachable, please try again later," the yeye (useless) woman spoke.

I lied on my back on my bed staring at the ceiling as I wondered why this was all happening to me.

Joke, Kelechi and Ebi have been bragging all day and I couldn't even tell them that I have not heard from Ramson all day. I sighed as I decided to try and call again and to my luck, the phone did not even ring. ' the number you are calling is switched off, please try again later.'

Two days later

"Omg! Chinedu is such a darling," Joke squealed as she danced with excitement.

She opened one of her presents for me, it was a shining silver bracelet. I marvel at the shimmering bracelet as It came in contact with my skin. Cold and glittering, it was blatant that I was jealous.

She's really lucky, Chinedu and her started dating at the beginning of the year. She didn't even want to give him attention at first but later gave in.

"He didn't only give me this," she told me as she unwrapped her other Valentine's present.

My breath caught on my throat as I stare at the red sequin halter neck dress. I couldn't help but feel envious of her. Out of all of my friends, Joke was the luckiest, she'd always get the biggest present from friends, family and loved ones.

While for me, even my own parents don't give me gifts, talkless of my friends or loved ones. What I didn't get is; Valentine's is a day of love, but how is it that it's only the couple's that get to receive gifts. Friends don't gift friends gift here in Nigeria.

While joke revealed her present, i just stood by and watch her wishing I was in her shoe for once.
********************************

"Baby it wasn't like that, my older sister mistakenly smashed my phone thinking it was hers, i promise it's not how it seem," Ramson begged as he told me the reason for his sudden disappearance. He was on his knee wrapping his arms around my lap as he plead.

What kind of stupid excuse is this?

"Okay, where is the Valentine's gift then?" I ask trying to ignore all that he has been saying. If his sudden disappearance was due to the fact that his older sister smashed his phone, that doesn't mean while he was coming to beg, he shouldn't come with a late Valentine's present. Abi I lie? (Am i lieing?)

He looks at me like he has been dumbstruck. He opens his mouth but nothing came out. That was how he did last year Christmas. The stupid excuse he came up with was that his grandma got sick and they had to donate money for her.

What stupid lie is that? He could have called still to let me know but he didn't, he went MIA since on the 24th and came back on the 5th of January.

"Ah ahn, but you know that it has passed na," he speaks acting like people don't wish friends belated birthdays.

"And so, it could still be celebrated, after all we are still in the Valentine's week," I said folding my arms and tapping my leg on the floor.

"Next year na, Tari, you too self... Next year still dey," he whined as if I'd easily be moved.

(It can still be celebrated next year and and you get mad easily Tari.)

This is the third time he has done this MIA stuff. Still yet he doesn't even try to make up for it. He will keep saying it has passed.

"Please na Tari, please," he begs. (Please Tari, please)

I have already made up my mind, I am ending it with him. Why be in a relationship where you are the one that give more. He is always with one story or another.

"It's over," I tell him.
"Ehn?" he raises his brows in confusion. (What?)

"I don't want to do again," i tell him removing his arms wrapped around my thighs. (I am no longer interested.)

"Really abi, upon how i take beg you?" He says standing up to his feet. (Seriously, even with the pleas?)

"I rest my case, na two days i go wait, if then you no call me, I go leave you." He speaks and turns on his heels. (Im giving you two days to think over it, if then you don't call me, I will leave you)

First chapter of A Nigerian Love story?
What do you say?

This is totally unedited but I will do so after the chapters are complete.

Constructive criticism is allowed.

And is what Tari saying true about how Valentine is been celebrated in Nigeria?

If not so, then do you give your friends gifts on Valentine's day?

Let's be sincere oo

What do you also say about Ramson.
Boys wey dey bear Ramson, fear them oo.
Vote, comment and share.