Demi

"-"

Osiris -

"Class, we are going to visit a seaside park today," the environmental science teacher announced as the other day students came in.

Osiris yawned and leaned back in his chair. His father would always try to get out of lecturing and usually came to chaperone the classes. He waited and softly smiled when his dad walked in with a large grin. His teacher began to list off what the students were supposed to write down and Osiris blinked, looking at the board.

The classes picked up their bags, already turning in their forms weeks prior. Osiris yawned and slung his bag over his shoulder, glancing at the calendar at one of the last days of school. He looked out the window longingly as the class moved to the buses. Once the class was on the bus, they went out to the shore.

About an hour later the buses parked at the park. Osiris looked out at the ocean longingly and smiled as they entered the park. The sea breeze was strong and the classes divided between the teachers, Osiris' group ran off and the group looked around and went down one of the side paths. His father had fallen behind as the class neared the sea.

His father caught up with them as the kids were collecting their samples. He watched from the sidelines, warning the kids about the rip currents after seeing the side. Osiris quickly took his sample and placed it in the container by his dad before going back to help the other students.

Osiris helped the students get the rest of the samples, placing them in his container. His father warned again as the students went onto the dock. He looked back at his father and he nodded, knowing his son could look over the students. His father stood at the shore, ready with the emergency line on speed dial.

"Let's go!" Osiris stayed back as the students jumped into the water.

Osiris grimaced as they continued to swim around, not paying attention to the signs showing it wasn't safe to swim. His father had already called the emergency line, knowing that if he went in where the students did, that he would be swept under. After calling, he looked at Osiris before the two jumped in, swimming parallel to the shore and looking for the students.

"I can't find them!" Osiris looked to his dad that was slightly further out than him.

Osiris' father made his way back to shore as Osiris heard a scream in the distance. He looked out to see one of his classmates in the distance. His classmate waved her arms as he made his way towards her. Osiris gripped onto her, making his way to shore as something pulled on the two, removing her from his grip.

The two were yanked underwater and Osiris looked for her when a voice whispered, "come with us Osiris, we're waiting." The voice drifted away as Osiris noticed his classmate.

He willed himself to go down further and held onto her, pulling against an unknown force. His adrenaline was high, he couldn't remember the last time that he breathed. Osiris held his classmate to his body as he drifted to shore. The girl was barely conscious but breathing normally.

There were no bubbles from his other classmates and the ocean receded, looking calmer than before. Osiris gulped as he noticed a wave in the distance, looking like it was beckoning him to come back. The three sat at shore waiting for the emergency services to arrive, his father giving him a weird look as they did so.

After explaining everything to the police, the three were ushered back to shore. The classes concluded their collections shortly thereafter and nearly everyone got back on the buses. Osiris was silent on the ride back, looking back on the ocean and its calls to him. He clutched his bag to himself as he made his way back to the school bus to go home.

Osiris looked around, he was one of the few upperclassmen that still rode the bus. He sighed and leaned his head against the window, looking out at the forest as they drove. His eyes widened as a creature waved at him at a stop light. Blinking, he looked back and it was gone.

About an hour after he got home, his father stumbled in, clutching onto a bunch of paperwork from the day and grading. Osiris helped his dad inside, making sure to lock the door behind them. His father disappeared to his office as Osiris cooked the two dinner. He looked out at the forest once more, letting out a sigh of relief as he saw nothing.

"Dad, can I talk to you?" Osiris mumbled as he set the table for two.

His father nodded, his thoughts jumbled from the day's events. Osiris waited for him to begin eating to speak. He looked out the window, noticing a creature waving at him through the window. Gulping, he shoved down food before looking up at his dad.

"Well, you explained that mom was never in the picture, and the ocean was talking to me today-" his speech was cut off when his father's spoon clattered to the floor.

His father stood up, backing away from the table. He mumbled no's under his breath as he slunk back to his study. Osiris looked down at his meal, feeling his appetite slip away. He cleaned up the table before looking outside again.

A shiver ran up his neck as he gripped onto a knife from the table. He looked down to see the creature from outside. It stalked towards him, its claws drenched in blood. Osiris threw the knife at it and it melted into a pile of silver dust.

His dad came back in with a folder and nearly fainted when he saw the silver dust and knife on the floor. He looked at Osiris who was shaking and sighed, bringing his son into a hug. 

"There's a small probability of gifts being passed down. Our family was one of the originals so it is more probable. Your mother was a child of the gods, and her abilities have passed onto you. I have minimal, my family's lineage much more tainted." His father made the candles light on the table and gave his son a weak smile.

"What am I supposed to do them?" Osiris looked outside before wincing as more creatures gathered.

"I've hidden your scent for years, but it appears it is no longer safe for you to live with me. I think it would be best to send you to a school with people like you." Osiris got up and walked outside.

His father watched from the safety of the kitchen, a knife in hand. Osiris glanced around, looking for the creatures. He grimaced as he saw once, walking towards it, it ran away. Osiris took a seat on the ground and let calmness overtake him, picturing all the creatures coming out.

When he opened his eyes, Osiris was surprised at the number of creatures there. He looked at the water holding them in place, nearly suffocating them. His father gave the thumbs up from the kitchen and Osiris let the water work for him. The water receded and a pile of glitter sat before the two.

"Where did the water come from?" Osiris' father came out and sat next to his son.

"I just thought of it, and there it was."