The Shop

Landon -

"Hello," a voice echoes through the shop, making the witch turn around and face them.

The door closed behind the patron. Their build was strong, making Landon look up at them. Landon floated to the kitchen, grabbing some of his favorite teas and bringing them out. He motioned for the patron to take a seat, closely followed by Landon.

"What brings you to my shop, wolf?" The witch smiled, the stench of the wolf much weaker than the others that he's met.

"I've never shifted, my wolf is nonexistant." The patron looked down at the table, Landon felt the embarrassment of the wolf radiating around them.

"Follow me." Landon guides the patron to the side room.

The patron laid down on the cot, their eyes widening as it began to rise off the ground. Landon placed a silk cloth over the patrons eyes, knowing they wouldn't want to see him at work. He placed his thumbs on his forehead and Landon collapsed onto the cot.

"Why are you here, human?" A voice snarls in the darkness.

Landon looks around, this was his patrons mind. It was dark, lonely. He saw his shadows making their way around the mind, protecting him.

"Are you my patrons wolf?" Landon received a snarl as a wolf snout came out of the darkness.

"What business do you have with my human, Romen?" The wolf came out of the darkness, leaving Landon speechless.

The wolf was covered in scars, limping as it moved forward. Its paws were chained, the wolf tripping as it walked. Landon crouched to the ground, a sign of submission. The wolf came forward and collapsed from exhaustion, looking up at him.

"Tell me why Romen cannot shift." The wolf's eyes widened before turning multicolored and looking like static.

"R-R-R-," the wolf tried to speak but continued to be cut off, "I am unable to provide you with that information. Now leave." The wolf snarled and jumped, making Landon leave Romen's mind too quickly.

Landon was thrown against the wall, thanking that he put up cushions, used to this happening. He fell onto the couch and took a deep breath, feeling his ribs as they began to bruise. His hands burned from where he touched the wolf's chains. Landon got up, using some quick magic to remove his injuries, but his hands wouldn't heal.

"Romen is your name, correct?" Landon removed the silk from his eyes and helped him up, offering him some water.

"Who are you talking about?" His eyes glazed over like his wolf's, "yes I am Romen."

Landon glared at the wolf. Something, or someone, was not allowing him to shift. He wondered if someone had tampered with his memories as well. His patron got up, making his way to the door.

The door was thrown open, a demon stumbling through the door. Landon rolled his eyes, his long time friend Xenon decided to roughhouse with the hellhounds. Romen stayed back, allowing Landon to help Xenon to the other room.

Landon rested Xenon on one of the couches, going to another room to grab some herbs to heal him since that wasn't Landon's specialty. Romen sat on one of the couches, looking around in boredom. Xenon glared at the dog and scoffed as Landon came in.

"Why is there a mutt in your house?" Landon muttered something quietly as he applied bandages to the demon.

"That's enough Xenon, stop playing with Satan's hellhounds and do your job as one of the monarchs." He pouted before conjuring a portal and jumping back into Hell.

Romen waited for Landon to clean up and went to the front door to leave. Their eyes were still glazed over and Landon felt the need to help the poor wolf. He came over and cast a spell, allowing the wolf to recceed back into the man's subconscious. The man stumbled a bit, clutching onto the doorknob before rubbing their eyes.

"Hello Romen. I met your wolf, someone is not allowing you to shift, shall we go meet them?" Romen blinked before quietly nodding.

Landon grabbed his cloak and pulled the hood over his face. His looks would single him out as a magic user and where they were going that had to be hidden. Landon flipped the sign to closed and locked the door. Romen held his head down as he followed Landon out of the suburbs and into the countryside.

"Where are we going?" Romen mumbled as the two reached an inn for the evening.

"If you would really like to know, I will tell you in the morning." Landon looked back, his eyes glowing in worry as he watched the shadows close in on the inn.

Romen sat in the waiting room, his tail in-between his legs as he watched the shadows come up to the windows. Landon appeared with the room key and guided the wolf up the stairs. He stood in front of the door as Landon looked at the doorknob with curiosity. Landon's hand raised and went through the door before quickly retreating.

"This inn's room is cursed. We cannot stay here." Romen watched as Landon's eyes filled with fear as he led the wolf to another room.

Once the two reached another room, Landon unlocked the door from the inside and the two walked in. He sealed the door shut behind them and closed the curtains, casting a spell as they molded to the window, creating a barrier. Romen sat in front of the window watching Landon with curiosity as strings of magic enveloped the room.

"Why do we need to be protected?" Romen felt idiotic as he asked the question, but he didn't realize what was the urgency.

"Someone is preventing you from shifting. Your wolf came out and you don't smell as human, if they have someone watching you, they likely know now too." Landon retreated to the bathroom as a thud echoed from the window.

"Sleep, I'll put some barriers around the room." Landon smiled at the wolf, allowing his human mind to shut down and his magical spirit to stay awake to protect the wolf at night.

Romen watched as strings wrapped around Landon, spreading across the room, creating a web. Romen reached up to touch one string and passed out. Landon looked back and smiled as the wolf's fears subsided and he began to dream.

"You can come out now. He's asleep." Landon spoke, watching as his eyes glowed brighter as the intruder stepped through the mirror.

"Your barriers were quite difficult to get through, even though I was already inside. With this power, why do you hide in your small shop?" Landon ignored the intruder and increased the barriers around the wolf.

"You work for the person blocking his shifting. Your magical essence is weak and nearly human-like. Who do you work for?" Landon watched as the intruder took a step back in fear as he looked down on him.

"I work for someone you know, but you know everyone don't you? You knew the wolf was coming before he came. So why are you even asking me when you know who is preventing him from shifting?"

The intruder smiled at Landon, not needing to answer his question. They stepped back into the mirror and disappeared, shattering the mirror in the process. Romen woke with a start and Landon lured him back to sleep, the wolf needed it after all.

The witch watched as the wolf slept, stepping through the wall and returning home. His shop was dark as the moon was overcast by clouds. Tonight the shop was not open for business, but the witch forget to give the wolf his blessing. Landon grabbed one of his necklaces and returned to the inn, placing it around the wolf's neck and watching the barrier surround him with a smile as he protected him all night long.