Dendrophile

"The forest hides society's deepest regrets."

Holt -

Wilk is where the demons lay. Those that entered never returned. Luca disappeared into the forest after graduation. It had been a few years since then.

Holt sat at small fire outside his house. He wanted to go in, he wanted to see what was hiding in Wilk. His job made it easy to work at home and he had solar chargers, so he could still work in the wilderness. Holt sat at the fire, watching it flicker in the night, debating if he was ready to leave his family.

They knew that Holt wasn't the same after Luca left. When someone's best friend leaves, but it's unsure if they're alive or dead, you had to question. Holt looked down at his satchel bag, he had thought of this many times before. It was spring, it was early enough to go for the summer and come back.

Holt sat in deep thought, listening to the wolves howl. He finally came to a decision, it was time to go. His hands shakily picked up his bag as he slung it over his shoulder. Holt put out the fire and placed a note on the seat.

Although the forest started right behind his house, it didn't become dense, it didn't become Wilk, until much deeper in. Holt wandered through the forest, many of the animals were getting ready to sleep at dusk so it was quiet. He came to the border of Wilk, the forest became dense and signs littered the ground with warning. The signs were broken and strewn across the ground as if someone came through and took them down.

Holt took a deep breath and stepped past the signs. The wind changed and the wolf howls sounded like they grew closer. The canopy grew thick the further he walked. His steps faltered as he reached a clearing with a large house.

"Why are you here?" A voice growled from behind him.

Holt jumped and turned around. A short girl sat on a tree stump looking at him with a bored expression. Her clothes were well maintained, as if she lived in the house. He tried to speak but was cut off by a long howl.

"Ma, mother please be quiet, we have a guest." The girl looked towards the forest.

Holt shrunk back as a large group of people came out of the forest. He looked around for Luca but couldn't see him. His head dropped to his knees as he waited for the people to say something. The girl got up and went to talk to her parents.

"Welcome to what you call Wilk, my name is Ari, my wife's name is Kat, and our daughter's name is Willa. As you have probably heard the tales, you cannot leave. Do you understand?"

Holt looked up and nodded his head. "I came in looking for someone by the name of Luca," his voice was horse and barely above a whisper but Ari smiled.

"Ah, you must be Holt. Luca! Get over here!" There was shuffling from behind her and a gigantic wolf came bounding out of the forest wearing a flower crown and Willa riding the wolf's back.

Holt looked down as a loud cracking noise started. Willa came running over to her parents and gave them flower crowns as well. Footsteps made their way towards Holt and he stayed curled up in a ball. A large hand clasped his shoulder and he let out a small whimper, scared of who it was.

"Hey, remember me?" Holt looked up and Luca stood there with a gigantic grin.

Luca leaned down and picked up Holt, swinging him around with a large grin. He placed him down and wrapped his arms around his waist and held him close. Holt couldn't have imagined how lonely it was when Luca first came here.

Ari stood there with a frown, arms crossed across her chest. Luca glared at her and kept Holt close to him. She whispered to Kat who shook her head, placing Willa on her hip. Willa giggled and whispered to her parents as well.

"Luca, you know how things go here. You have to-" Ari was cut off by a snarl from Luca.

She raised a brow before continuing, "boy, if you continue to act like that you will have pup duty for the next month." Luca glared but stopped growling.

"I will not turn Holt!" He exclaimed, resting his head on his.

"What does turning entail?" Holt tried to look up at Luca, noticing his golden eyes.

"Since you two have some sort of relationship, the turn will go easier with his bite, especially since Luca is a dominant wolf. He will have to bite you and inject his venom and a toxin to dull the pain. You would be such a beautiful Omega." Holt bit his lip and looked up at Luca who gave a meek smile.

"And if I say no?" Ari smirked and walked up to the two.

"You will be killed. We cannot trust humans with keeping our secret. All of those that come to Wilk never return, do you understand why now?" Holt noticed that Ari appeared less confident, wondering if someone betrayed them before.

Holt looked up at Luca, whose ears and tails came out along with his fangs. He burried his face in Holt's neck and breathed heavily, as if trying to calm down. His hand covered Luca's and he felt him smile. Luca's tail swished against Holt and he laughed as it tickled his side.

"This is what I should've expected. I was thinking about this on my way here. You can turn me Luca." Holt turned and pulled Luca close.

"Are you sure? It will be very painful. I don't want to see you in pain, I could talk to Ari about allowing you to stay as a human!" Luca exclaimed and Holt tried to comfort him.

Luca led Holt away, only trying to reason with Holt for himself. He knew that Holt was determined and would not change his mind. Once the two were far enough away from everyone, Luca looked down on Holt. Holt looked up with a smile and tilted his neck for Luca.

Luca felt his mouth began to salivate and his fangs elongate to their full length. Gripping onto Holt's shirt, he moved it to the side to give him better access to his neck. Luca's wolf wanted his mark to be visible, why many wolves mark on the neck. Holt felt his breath against his neck and his stomach filled with butterflies.

"I'm sorry." Holt was confused as to what Luca met until he bit him.

His scream was silenced by Luca's hand. He bit onto Luca's hand with strength he didn't know he had. Holt began to sob, the pain spreading like fire burning him alive. Luca tried to release more toxin to dull the pain for Holt.

Holt began to feel the pain slip away and the toxin take over. He let out a low moan and gripped onto Luca, trying to pull him closer to his neck. Luca smiled, glad that the pain was subsiding with the toxin. Once all of the venom had been injected, Luca released his fangs from Holt's neck and lapped up the blood.

"Hey Luca-" Holt slurred before collapsing into Luca's arms.