The Fallen Realm

"Quote not written yet"

Lex -

The heat was unbearable, even the underground was sweltering. Lex cooked breakfast watching his mother form clay bowls from the ground to hold their meal. He smiled as his little sister was carried by the rocks to the dining table. His father stood at the door, looking outside into the road.

"Mother, can I go play with my friends on the upperground?" Lex's sister exclaimed and received a quiet no from their mother.

"Lex, I need you to go to the cellars and get some grain." He finished up breakfast and went to the cellars.

Footsteps echoed as he walked, although he didn't know what time it was, it was early since few were awake. The door was gone and Lex looked inside with worry. Each family had their own cellar so no one should be in here. His mouth was covered as he was dragged inside.

Lex shot out a mound of earth, trapping the intruder. They laughed before melting the rock to the ground and conjured a ball of light. He looked up at the intruder who yawned, looking for something. He gripped onto the intruder, trying to pull them away from the cellar.

"You cannot defeat me. I can burn this whole place down and remove all the oxygen in a moment. Now help me look for a silver box, it's for you." He smiled and Lex began to look for the box.

After reaching into a large bag of rice, he pulled out a silver box encrusted with gems. Lex looked at the intruder with a confused expression. He placed his hands over Lex's and hummed. His hands grew warm and he relaxed as well. The intruder's hands began to cool down as the box's intricite locks began to unlock.

"Your carriers were supposed to show you this, but it appears they got too attached." The intruder pulled out two necklaces before closing the box.

The box disappeared and Lex looked around for it. The intruder chuckled and gave Lex one of the necklaces. He placed one around his neck and motioned for Lex to do so as well. Remembering the fire, he gulped and placed it around his neck.

"My name's Xavier, I'm one of the fighters from the upperground, hello Lex." He nodded and held onto the necklace with worry.

Xavier collapsed the ground above them and gripped onto Lex's wrist, taking them above ground. Lex hid in his chest from the sunlight, wanting to give his eyes time to adjust. Xavier melted the earth back together and led the two to a shaded tree. He gave Lex a pair of sunglasses and Lex looked confused until Xavier put them over his eyes.

"Your carrier's were supposed to raise you like a normal kid, I don't know why they raised you underground. Welcome to the upperground, or as we call it, nothing, we don't call it anything special." Lex quietly laughed, looking around at all of the trees and animals that he had never seen with wonder.

Xavier smiled and helped Lex up, guiding him into town. He took him to a local bar and the two sat down at a booth. Xavier ordered for them as Lex picked out some food he wanted. They had a bar just like this underground if he went up a flight of stairs that his parents took him to once.

"Have you heard of MARS? It stands for Mortals Against Rogue Sourcerers." Xavier sipped his drink and looked at Lex.

"I don't know what you're talking about. What are mortals and sourcerers?" Xavier stopped drinking and looked at Lex with worry.

"Oh boy," Xavier sighed, "you and I have abilities. Not everyone does, they're called mortals or humans. Those that know about us call us sourcerers. You cannot show your abilities in public because of it." Lex stopped making a figurine next to him and sheepishly disassembled it.

"What does that have to do with me?" Lex takes off his sunglasses and looks around.

"You are one of us. I was reincarnated to-" Lex raised a brow and Xavier shook his head, "I'm here to protect you. There was a breach in my state and we need someone with your abilities to help us."

"Why should I help you? I was perfectly happy writing and creating art underground." Lex took a bite of the food that was laid before them.

"I'll help you tap into your abilities. You don't even know half of what you can do." Lex perked up at all the food once it arrived.

"How do you know so much about me? By what you're saying I'm not on record because of my carriers, so how do you know me?" Xavier looked down at the ring on his finger.

"We met in our past lives. It appears that you have forgotten." He takes off the ring and places it in his pocket before placing down some cash for the food.

"If you have no interest in helping us, I won't force you, sweetheart." Lex looked up at the last word, recognizing it.

"Have you called me that before?" Lex stood up and followed Xavier, wanting to fill the empty hole in his heart.

"Every day when I woke up beside you," Xavier sighs and looks off into the distance, "if you're coming, I'll be waiting for you at the bench over there." Lex stands still as Xavier walks off.

He wanted to go back to his family, but Xavier seemed to know more about him than his own family. They used him like a slave, they didn't treat him like family. Lex felt himself sinking into a pit of sorrow, realizing his family never told him they loved him like they do in the fairy tales they used to read.

Lex looked down on Xavier who was playing with a ring. He smiled and sat down beside him. Xavier looked up with a neutral expression before smiling and getting up. They began to walk along the road until they reached the edge of town.

"The reason they wanted your help is because you cannot just control earth, like me, but I need you to trust me." Lex bit his lip in thought before nodding.

Xavier pulled him into a hug, confusing Lex. They began to hover in the air and Lex gripped onto him tighter. Xavier smiled and the two began their journey to the other state.