Chapter 8

The winter finally blurred into spring and Elle found herself feeling good about the year so far. She'd really kept her focus and was feeling more optimistic than usual, and others were noticing too. One of the writer's from the entertainment section told her that he wasn't sure what she'd been up to lately, but whatever it was, she should keep it up as she was looking sexier than usual lately. She knew that the traditional man had meant no harm with his comments, so she simply thanked him and took it as the compliment that he'd meant it to be.

Her and Jack had continued to communicate on a regular basis and although he had a tendency to pull away for brief periods whenever their conversations got too deep or personal, she never took offense. She knew it was difficult for him to open up and whenever he did, she knew he felt vulnerable and needed a chance to rethink things. He always came back though, and they picked up right where they'd left off.

 It made Elle realize that he trusted her and that he was obviously sharing things with her that he hadn't felt safe enough to share with anyone in a long time. She was glad she could be a confidante for him; and he was giving her things that she hadn't realized that she'd needed either. His encouragement of her, his unwavering belief in her abilities and constant insistence that she deserved the best of everything that life had to offer; had boosted her self confidence and she was walking taller, tackling things head on again and she felt alive for the first time in ages.

She was riding high until; in early April, she walked across the bullpen and knocked on Portia's door.  

"You wanted to see me?" Elle popped her head into Portia's office.

"Close the door." Elle obeyed and took a seat in the metal chair she had become so acquainted with lately. "I've noticed that you're just writing about and messaging guys you only see once or twice... Anyway, you've been doing this for awhile now and while the articles are proving popular, it might be a good idea to take things a little deeper. Frankly, we've been getting mail suggesting you're a bit of a slut."

The bluntness Portia was known for still caught Elle off guard. "I'm sorry, what?"

"All I'm saying is that maybe you should pick someone and date them for more than a couple of dates; write about that."

"But you said I didn't have to really get involved with anyone!" Her voice had gone up in pitch substantially, betraying her and revealing her discomfort.  

"Come on Elle, this is what good journalism is really about; living the story. Going undercover for the real scoop. Seriously, could you just commit yourself to something for once, show me you have some ambition and professionalism?" The words stung and if Elle's feelings showed, Portia ignored them. "What about that guy from England? You still talk to him right?  We should set up a meeting with the two of you."

"No he's still deployed." Elle felt violated as she discussed Jack.  No, her relationship with Jack was off limits. They were friends that shared intimate and personal things with one another. "Besides,  I can hardly pursue a relationship with someone who's clear across the Atlantic."

"Well if anyone else peaks your interest, let me know. We'll send you on assignment if we have to. Might even add some excitement to the story; a long distance love affair, sort of like that movie with Alan Alda."

"Same Time Next Year?" Elle offered stifling a laugh.

"Yes! That's the one! That could be a great angle. Work on that." Portia began her customary paper shuffling dismissal so Elle returned to her desk, stunned at her editor's nerve suggesting she begin an affair. The red light on her cell was blinking indicating she had a message of some sort. Picking up her phone and bringing the screen to life, she smiled as she realized it was a message from  Jack.