Chapter 7

Although she'd checked for messages from Jack in the days between Christmas and the fast approaching New Year, she'd not written to him again. Elle had started to fear that Tim might be right, so in an effort to prevent his suspicions from becoming a reality, she had decided to back off a bit. Yet she was frustrated and  disappointed each time she saw her empty mailbox on Cupid.

Dammit Tim! Why the hell did you have to go and get me thinking about possibilities with Jack? Or impossibilities...either way it sucks! All of a sudden I don't know what's going on, if anything. She deliberately forced herself to change her focus. No, there's nothing going on; he's just got me sucked into his dramatic way of thinking and it's messing everything up. Everything was fine, just the way it was...and still is. Nothing's changed really, except how I'm viewing things. I do miss him but I need to just take it as it is and enjoy the actual friendship that we have. Just leave it at that, uncomplicated and perfectly satisfying to both of us.

And just as she had reasoned herself out of her emotional roller coaster, her phone pinged and she saw she'd received notification of a message waiting for her on Cupid. Elated, she went to her laptop. Jesus! Calm down, it's just a message, and it may not even be from Jack! She mentally scolded herself. Still, she hastily opened the message and smiled when she saw it was from him.

"Hey you,

We've not spoken for ages. I was thinking about you today when I was out for a run. How are your holidays going? Any plans for New Year's yet?

Hopefully chat soon.

Jack xx"

She was confused. Elle loved the idea that he'd been thinking of her. So what? It doesn't mean anything! Especially since he seems to have forgotten about the Skype session we had set up for New Year's Eve. Maybe something better's come up on his end? Shaking off her confusing anger, she responded.

"Hi Jack,

My holidays have been good so far, lots of visiting and holiday stuff. Heading back to work in a few days. How are things going there?

And no, the only plans I had for New Year's are the ones we discussed. We don't have to Skype if you don't want to or if something better has come up.

Let me know.

Elle xx"

She logged off  and closed her laptop before she threw on her coat to go for a walk in the crisp night air.

.......................................................................................................................................

The response Elle had sent puzzled him. It didn't have the usual friendly and upbeat tone of her other messages. He replied cautiously.

"No nothing better has come up, I was looking forward to our chat, I just didn't want you to feel obligated in case you got a better offer. It is New Year's after all. But if you're still up for it, I'll call you about 11 your time?

Everything okay with you?

Hope you're having a good day.

Jack xx"

.......................................................................................................................................

The next morning, Elle read Jack's message and felt guilty for taking her uncertainty and fear out on him. As she responded, she vowed to be more careful with keeping her emotions in check so that she didn't ruin the friendship that they had and that she honestly treasured.