Chapter 10

"I'm sorry, what did you just say?" Elle sat at her desk feeling queasy and she wasn't sure if the flu that she'd just gotten over was coming back or if it was because of  the words she'd just heard. She sat there with a death grip on the phone she was holding to her ear.

There was a click and Portia's door flew open as the editor yelled across the office. "For God's sake Elle, I said go home and pack your bags, you're going to Afghanistan!"

The office went quiet except for the odd phone ringing which no one was bothering to answer as they were all transfixed on the sudden exchange between Elle and Portia.

Elle's throat felt like it was closing up as she struggled to speak. "Why?"

Portia was obviously growing impatient with her. "Because you and this Jack fellow are obviously very close and..."

Elle had no idea what Portia said next because before she knew it she was out of her seat and racing towards her editor as she yelled. "Don't you dare say another word!" She grabbed Portia by the elbow and pulled her back into the eclectic office, slamming the door behind them. "How do you know so much about Jack?" Elle knew she had finally turned the tables on her nemesis as Portia backed up, looking startled, until she found her chair and planted herself in it as she tried to regain the upper hand.

"It is my account Elle; I pay for it. It's only your name and picture. I read every message that is sent back and forth." Portia let the realization of what she'd seen between her and Jack sink in before she went on. As Elle went white, she continued. " He seemed quite concerned about your well being while you were home sick the last few days; and his understanding response to your confession about having feelings for him." Portia smiled wickedly as she went on. " I've arranged for you to get on the base so you can actually have a date with him and report back."

The absurdity of what Portia was suggesting made Elle laugh as she responded. "You can't be serious? They aren't just going to let me show up at the base and arrange a candlelight dinner for me and a man who's on active duty in the middle of one of the most dangerous places in the world!" As she said the word's out loud she felt relieved as she knew she was right and was therefore going nowhere but to the opera for her next date with some guy named Darren on Sunday night.

"Oh, but they don't think you're going to visit the base so you can have some one on one time with Sgt. Morgan." Portia had regained her intimidating disposition after being briefly toppled by Elle's wrath. "No, they are under the impression that you'll be going for a ride along to report on the daily patrols through the streets of Kandahar as an embedded journalist."

"Sorry, what?" Elle found herself saying as nerves threatened to bring up her lunch.

"You heard me. You'll be able to learn from Jack too though, allow you to spend time with him incognito, so to speak.  He works in the tactical communications division, so he can give you lots of information, as you get to know him better."  Portia gave Elle a bitchy smile as she crossed her arms. "Considering how close you two seem to be getting, I just thought it was time you met."

Elle's mind was swimming with emotion and thoughts that were coming so fast she couldn't find any clarity. Closing her eyes, she focused on her breathing and blocked out the reality of what Portia was saying. She could vaguely hear Portia going on about something, but she was trying to stop her heart from pounding in her ears. Come on, get it together! You're stronger than you think, remember? The recollection of Jack's faith in her gave her the boost she needed and she opened her eyes to look at Portia. "Sorry, what?" she said curtly, forcing herself to be in control.

Portia sighed. "You leave tonight. You're flying to London and you'll be flying out with a new unit that's being deployed." She grabbed a pen and began to make notes on an article as she continued. "Timing worked out perfectly actually. You'll be flying back with the returning troops on Saturday." She raised her head and looked at Elle as she finished. "By the time you're there and settled you'll have another 2 days before you fly home on. Just find Jack, figure out a way to have some time together, go on the patrol and ask lots of questions to make it look good, then get back here and write the article we actually want."