Chapter 1.) Chosen

I woke up to the rapping on the door. My mother was already downstairs. I stood by the staircase and listened in to the conversation.

"Are you the Green household?" A woman's voice said.

"Correct. I'm Lisa." My mother said.

"Your oldest daughter, Evelyn, has been chosen from your county."
I put my hand over my mouth to keep me from shouting out. Me! I was chosen! Out of my 2 older brothers and younger sister, me! Out of the 1,000 people in my county, me!

"May I speak to her?" The woman said.

"Of course. Give us one second." My mom said. I hurried back to my bed and sat on it, careful not to wake my sister, Alice, who was 8. My mother came up the steps and over to my bed. "Did you catch that?" She said. I nodded. "Go clean up a little bit very quickly."

I nodded and hurried to the bathroom in my nightgown. I pulled my robe from the hanger and slid it on. I brushed out my hair and then walked downstairs, where a business-looking woman was waiting on our old, musty couch. She rose when I came down, and shook my hand. "Hello, Evelyn. My name is Dr. Audrey Skilling. I'm so sorry to disturb you at such a late hour, but you have been chosen from your county to come to the City. Do you understand what this means?" She asked, as she sat back down and gestured to the seat across our small coffee table. "I understand some of it, ma'am." I said. She nodded.

"Every year, a young leader from the age of 12-20 is chosen from every county to go to the City and train with experts. You learn a lot more than what you would learn at your schools here in the suburbs. There are 48 young adults for the 48 counties. Do you know what you are chosen for?"

"Isn't it so that you can learn leadership skills so that to can lead your county?" I said.

"That's what people tell you. It really is so that you have more time with people your age. It's so that you can become help for the City, and our leaders in it. It is so you can put your leadership skills to use. It's so that you can help choose the best fit of leaders for the years to come."

"Wait," I said, beginning to put things together. "You want me to come to the City with you so I can train there and eventually live there where I will work for you?"

"Correct. Do you have any other questions?"

"Will I be able to visit my family? Will they be able to come to the city with me?" I couldn't bear the thought of not seeing my family.

"They cannot come along with you. But you will be able to visit them for 3 holidays- Christmas, New Years, and Thanksgiving." Audrey said matter-of-factly. I didn't have a choice. I've been chosen. I can't back out. I took a deep breath.

"Alright. When do we leave?"

"Tomorrow afternoon, my dear. Get some rest. You will be our first stop, then we'll go pick up the other 49 leaders."

She rose, shook my hand again, then left. I went back upstairs. Mother was already asleep. My two brothers, Luke, the oldest, and Alan, my twin, were waiting at the staircase for me. "You're chosen!" Alan said, wrapping me in a hug. I smiled. "But I'm leaving tomorrow." They both nodded. "You'll do great." Luke said. He patted my shoulder. I smiled. "Thanks guys. I love you." We hugged one last time, then went to bed.

Maybe I should give you a little more insight. My name is Evelyn Mariee Green. My twin is Alan, and we're both 15. Alan is older by 12 minutes. My oldest brother, Luke, is 19. My father was killed in a target practice accident back in our old county of Fringe, which was the reason we had to move to Zale, which is the poorest county, but it was the only one that had room for us. Muri and Denton are the two richest counties. We live in a country where the leaders rule over all 48 counties. Our president is President Giovanna Ember, and she is the one that appoints the leaders of the counties. The leader of my county, the last one, is Clint Storm. The leaders choose everything for you. And we should be grateful, because, if we're not, there are consequences. If we go out of line, the leaders are there to decide our fate. It's so rare when people act out, so when it does happen, it's all over the news in the counties. Even in the City.

I lie in bed, pondering these things. Finally, I turn off the lamp at the side of my bed and fall asleep.

Ayyyy! Happy 2015 everyone!Short beginning chapter, but I'm really excited for you all to read this. Thanks! I LOVE YOU ALL!

Ashley 😘