Chapter 19: "Um, can I have a ride?"

Chapter 19

Kaitlyn gathered her bag, turned off her classroom light, and was prepared to go to the trail to run. She was excited to see Chase and run with him.

“Um, excuse me?” A young boy asked timidly to Kaitlyn as she locked up her classroom.

“Yes?”

“I missed my bus -- I think,” the young boy said, as Kaitlyn turned to him.

“Okay?” Kaitlyn said, confused on what the boy needed.

“I’m a freshman. I got confused on what bus was mine and missed it ...”

“Oh, do you need to call someone?” Kaitlyn offered, pulling out her cell phone.

“I have a phone. My mom is at work ... And I was wondering if you can give me a ride home?” The boy said, looking scared like he’d  get in trouble.

“Sure. It happens. All the buses the first year of high school can be confusing, Kaitlyn said, trying to reassure the boy.

“My names Timmy,” the boy said, now more relaxed.

“Ms. Smith,” Kaitlyn smiled at the boy.

After driving around for over an hour, Kaitlyn was annoyed that Timmy didn’t know his directions, and was wasting her gas money.  Kaitlyn had to call one of the group members of her running group to lead the run, because she was way too late, and that pissed Kaitlyn off - but she tried to contain it, since she didn’t want to be pissed at a boy who honestly didn’t know his directions and needed a ride home.

“I should have GPS,” Kaitlyn said annoyed. “Down what street again?” Kaitlyn asked.

“I think here,” Timmy pointed forward. “So you think I’m too young for a senior, huh Ms. Smith?”

“Yes,” And are we going straight, or turning?” Kaitlyn asked as they stopped at a stop sign.

Timmy had been telling Kaitlyn his woes of being in love with a senior girl, and the girl saying he was too young, distracting Kaitlyn who only wanted the boy out of her car so she could run.

“Please, try your mother again!” Kaitlyn snapped, then feeling guilty when the boy  looked sad. “Sorry, I need to be home.”

“Turn left, and it’s two blocks down,” the boy said assuringly.

Sure enough, that was the correct directions, and as Kaitlyn stopped in his driveway, Timmy jumped out, waved, and ran past what looked like a mother onto his home.

“I really hope that’s not that boys mother while I used up all my gas,” Kaitlyn grumbled to herself, smiling and giving a quick courtesy wave to the woman, before pulling out of the driveway.