fell asleep smiling ~~chapter eleven~~

Ain't No Rest for the Wicked

Oh, there ain't no rest for the wicked
Money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed
There ain't nothin' in this world for free

I know I can't slow down, I can't hold back
Though you know I wish I could
Oh no, there ain't no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good

~~Cage the Elephant

We ended up at a small village. Children ran around laughing and giggling. Small houses to huts were set up. The place was lit by lanterns hanging from trees or by the doors of the houses. I had winter sit on the outskirts of the village. A fire was flickering away from the huts and houses. A type of meat hung over it. Another fire had a pot hung over.

A women with short black hair with greys was scrapping vegetables off the cutting board into the pot. She took a spoon and tasted it. She then took some herbs putting it the pot. The women looked up at Shay and gestured for us to come over.

“Hello Shay… Who is this young girl with you?” She says smiling.

“Mother, this is Alexandria… Alexandria this is Rose, my mother.” I smiled.

“Nice to meet you Madam Rose.” She laughs and stirs the soup.

“Rose is just fine dear.” I nodded.

“Shay do me a favor and tell everyone the soup is ready.” He nodded and left.

“May I help?”

“Sure thing darling… Just cut up this bread here.” She says gesturing to another cutting board that sat next to the table next to her with a chunk of bread on it. A bowl sat next to it almost filled with pieces of bread. I nodded and cut the bread putting the pieces into the bowl.

“How do you know my son?” She asks striking up a conversation.

“I met him today strangely… He came up to me on the roof we started talking, he said he wanted to show me something so he brought me here.” She nodded.

“What element do you specialize in? Air?”

I was taken aback from her answer. Everyone I met so, far knew about me. I smiled slightly to hide my surprise. “All of them” I say slowly. She drops the spoon onto the ground startled. She shakes her head putting the spoon into a basket and took out a clean one.

“All of them?”

“Yeah… I’m the girl with the spirit.” Her eyes widen and looks at me.

“You’re the one?” I nodded. I put the last piece of bread into the bowl now feeling awkward. Shay comes back.

“People are sitting down for food.” He says. Shay takes the meat from the fire and pushed it onto a plate. Rose took the pot away from the fire. I grabbed the bowl of bread. We all walked to the middle of the village where people were all sitting on the ground around a reddish orange blanket. Food on plates sat above it. Some I have recognize some, I have not.

I sat the bread bowl next to the pot of soup. I then sat down next to Shay. A small girl with short black hair sat next to me. She looked up smiling her front tooth missing. The small girl grabbed my hand and so did Shay. Confused, I looked around and everyone else was bounding hands. Everyone, even the small children hymned together.

“Thank you to the God for the food we may eat. May we please have a pleasant future and fortune. Please bring peace for the past and strength for the new born. Now with this final prayer of thanks we will now eat.” People then started to serve their selves and the children food. I distinctly grabbed a small bowl of soup. It was good, I don’t think I ever had homemade soup before.