It Was Only A Few Moments (7)

He didn't know that when morning came, I had to pack up my things and get ready for my flight. He didn't know that that was probably the last time that I was going to see him and lie in a bed the way we were laying.
He didn't know because I wasn't planning on telling him that night. It would've ruined everything and I didn't want that.

I knew that I couldn't continue our relationship though. It's not that I didn't want to but I couldn't see how long-distance would've worked. It would've killed me. The constant worrying, the lack of person to person contact, and just knowing that we barely knew each other would've killed me. Going from that day to being thousands of miles away from each other would've killed me. Living off that one day and wishing for another one to come would've killed me.

I just couldn't do it.

I was dying right next to him and he didn't even know. He was soundly asleep.

I tried not to cry but I couldn't help it. I felt like that was my only opportunity, my only shot at possible love and it was all to go away the next day. It might've sounded stupid to the world but to me, the little amount of time that I spent with Ignacio felt like heaven. If that was what all my friends felt with their significant others than I envied them because that's all I ever wanted.

I always thought that crying made you weak and I learned that it was the opposite with age but at that moment, in my dying hours, I felt like I was weak.

Until his arms wrapped around me and pulled me in close. He held me so tightly like he did after the wedding when I cried. Maybe he knew I was dying. Maybe he felt it in his sleep. Maybe he dreamt of me crying and he wanted to save me.

He did...

Save me.

It was because of those arms that I decided to just live in the moment and enjoy the little time I had with him.