Chapter 11: Welcome To The Jungle

A/N: This is a short chapter. I've updated you guys frequently, now it's back to Los Carnales. Don't ask when I'm going to give you another chapter, just be patient even if it takes a month.

***

March 21st, 2032
Friday, 1:09pm - Pocono Raceway, Pennsylvania

Maintaining acceleration was as easy as breathing. When Lauren let the clutch up, she gave just the right amount of gas and felt the engine pulling her forward as soon as she hit the friction point. She let up again quickly then floored it, steering the wheel to the Yenko S/C Corevette around the track and taking the lead again—leaving James and Reece behind. The glossy black and orange sports car ran with an astounding 1000 horsepower and 850 ft/lbs of torque. Lauren rented it for the (sudden) last day the group spent at the Pocono Raceway, Reece rented a McLaren and gifted James a Mitsubishi Lancer X—as the artist was too broke to afford renting a racecar. This was the fourth time around the race track after having watched other racers earlier. This was the third time Lauren won; James had a lucky start.

Lauren kept glancing quickly at the rearview mirror, keeping an eye on her opponents catching up to her. She smirked, though it was hidden due to the helmet she wore on her head. When the next curve came, she made a hard turn and hugged the corners while James and Reece went wide and attempted to drift. Her footwork was impeccable when it came to gear shifting as was her timing; Lauren smoothly came around to the next curve where she started off aggressive, punched the throttle, and flicked the wheel while modulating the throttle to keep the rear wheel spinning and the slide well balanced. The corvette drifted sideways loudly, then James caught up and drifted with her—catching Lauren by surprise.

James glanced at Lauren and she ignored him although she could feel his sky blue eyes on her. They both squashed their "beef" this morning after Camila informed Lauren that James was only used to make her jealous, and nothing more. Lauren felt relieved but she still disliked the guy and made sure he knew that wasn't going to change anytime soon. The racetrack was the only place they had room for a rivalry now.

Both of them floored the gas and took turns on taking the lead by a few inches. Lauren let up and chose to feed James's ego a bit before she'd crush it. Hell, she even let Reece pass her. The finish line wasn't close enough for her to worry about losing.

"Go mommy, go!" Catalina rooted for the green eyed girl. She jumped up and down while holding onto the barricade, shouting about as if Lauren could actually hear her. "Beat them, ma! Go faster!"

"You can do it, mommy!" Blaire assisted with the cheering.

"If only Nate, Ruby and Kehlani were here. Especially Kehlani. She'd smoke everyone, including Lauren," said Madison. She was right behind María, arms secured over her stomach as they rocked side to side. Camila was in between them and Sabrina with her two girls in front of her. Valerie, Dinah and Simon sat together with their kids to Madison's left. "She's been practicing, lowkey."

"I don't think so. My wife remains undefeated even after fifteen years. Nobody stands a chance," Camila crowed about Lauren's winning streak in street racing. Her eyes remained locked on the Corvette, fingers crossed with her teeth grazing her bottom lip anxiously. She had two hundred bucks on Lauren's win and Camila hated to lose a wager.

"We should all get together if Ruby comes back to the states and Kehlani has free time to hang out. I'd love to see that race," said Sabrina.

"Lauren would still win," said Dinah, siding with Camila. She should be siding with her husband but he unfortunately sucked out there. Losing money wasn't on her list of things to do today.

"Agreed," María smiled as she reminisced about what it was like to drive in the passenger seat with Lauren racing other people. "Lauren's a boss."

"A boss who is losing. Ha!" Daniel shouted, pointing at Lauren's car falling behind James and Reece.