Chapter Seven - Worst Case Scenario

*Contains one mid-level and one top-tier cuss word. Shield your eyes, children!*

Emerald was getting another cup of tea in lieu of lunch when she heard knocking at the front door. The Daemos were all up and about, already changed into their "human clothing" just in case there was another trip outside the apartment. A quick glance at Ava's closed door let her know the younger woman probably wasn't even up yet, so she started the kettle and went to answer.

Mrs. Oates stood there, holding an ancient-looking camera in her hands. "Oh, Emmy! I hope I didn't interrupt your work..."

"No, I was just taking a lunch break." Emerald stared openly at the machine. "Is that... a folding half-plate camera?"

"Yes. I never really got the hang of those modern cameras you youngsters like so much, so I just use this one. But it hasn't worked for a while, so I was hoping you could take a look at it when you have a chance."

"I can try, but I don't really know how much help I'll be."

Mrs. Oates smiled. "Oh, I'm sure you can figure it out. You do so much work with computers for your job, and you had all those years in the Air Force - "

"Okay, yeah, I'll see what I can do," Emerald interrupted, shifting uncomfortably.

Mrs. Oates shot her a sympathetic look as she handed over the camera. "Oh, I'm sorry, dear. I forgot you don't like to talk about that time."

"It's... it's okay, Mrs. Oates." Emerald forced out what she hoped was a friendly smile. "I'll let you know when it's ready."

"Of course. And here." The elder woman held out a small wad of cash. "I know it hasn't been easy helping Ava get on her feet, especially now that you have five extra 'guests' staying with you."

She took it, looking away as she blushed slightly. "You really don't have to do this, Mrs. Oates. I can manage on my own."

"Oh, I know you can Emmy." She patted Emerald's arm fondly. "Just let an old lady have her little indulgences, won't you?"

Her smile felt a little easier this time. "Okay. I'll try to get it done by this evening."

"Thank you, dear."

Emerald closed the door, hauling the camera into the living room and setting it up on its tripod near Ava's computer before going back to the laundry room to fetch her toolbag. The Daemos continued to ignore her as they usually did, instead busying themselves around the apartment. Pierce, Rhys, and Noi were all currently in the kitchen, sitting on the floor and trying to look like they weren't waiting for the water to boil so they could ask for some more of the "tea". Leif was having a staring contest with Johnny Cat on the couch, while Asch was scowling impatiently near Ava's bedroom door.

Emerald put the tools near the camera, then looked at her watch and sighed. "I should probably get Ava up."

* * * * *

Ava stared openly at the camera. "This... is a relic."

Apparently that was today's magic word for the Daemos, since they all immediately focused on the smaller human. "A relic?!" Rhys gasped as all three Daemos in the kitchen popped up like groundhogs.

"Is it powerful?!" Asch asked hungrily.

"Can it kill someone?!" Leif sounded positively homicidal.

"It's gonna kill me with how complicated this thing is gonna be to fix," Emerald sighed. She knew pretending Ava was an "all-powerful sorceress" was important to their survival, but being treated like a ghost in her own home was really starting to wear on the taller woman's nerves.