Chapter Seventeen (2)

TAKING THOSE FIRST FEW steps into the forest were the hardest things I'd ever done. I'd heard stories about Thornwood Forest - rumours that none who entered it ever came out on this side again, and looking at it in the darkness, staring into the gloom, I could believe them.

                The shadows were long, branches creaking together and the pines packed so tightly together that even the light of the moon couldn't penetrate between the branches. I shivered, my foot landing on a twig and cracking it. The sound was like gunfire in the silence.

                There's nothing there. Nothing but the trees. I squeezed my hands into fists and took another step into the wood. Soon, the branches closed behind me and I was alone with the trees.

                As my eyes adjusted to the dark, I realised that there wasn't really anything to worry about. Owls hooted in the gloom, but they flew off as soon as I came within ten metres of them. I kept tripping over roots and falling into rabbit holes, twisting my ankles, but there was nothing out of the ordinary. So why was my heart pumping like I'd run a marathon?

                It was then that I heard it - a whispered voice, hooves clip-clopping heavily on the earthen path and someone swearing under their breath. Holding my breath, I slipped behind a large tree, my eyes darting from side to side. I wiped my palms on my trousers, hoping my breath wasn't too loud - or the beating of my heart, which seemed to drown everything out.

                "Jesus, if one more branch hits me in the face, I swear I will -" came a hushed voice. Someone shushed them, the sound of hooves getting closer and closer until they seemed to be right by where I was hiding. I covered my mouth with my hand, hoping against hope that they couldn't hear me breathing. Who were they - and why were they travelling so late at night?

                "She can't have gone far," someone said, the melodic voice unmistakable. I let out a sigh of relief - I'd know the worried tone anywhere. I couldn't help but smile as I stepped from behind the tree.

                A small scream came from the group as I moved from my hiding place. Keira held a hand to her heart, breathing heavily. After a moment, she took two long steps towards me and punched me in the arm, eyes burning.

                "Ow!" I cried, holding my arm and glaring. "What was that for?"

                Keira sobbed, hugging me so tight I thought my lungs would burst. "You're an idiot, you know?" she sobbed into my shoulder. "You're a complete and utter idiot and I hate you!"

                I blinked. What was wrong with her - why did she think I was an idiot? Why did she hate me? I patted her shoulder awkwardly, trying to detach myself from her embrace.

                "What's wrong?" I asked, looking up from Keira's crying face to see Celie and Iris standing by four horses. Celie's hair and skin were so pale and bright she seemed to emanate her own glow, her wings opening and closing in agitation behind her.

                Iris' dark hair and skin made her almost invisible in the dark, shadows playing on her face so only her eyes stood out, one as blue as the summer sky and the other an approaching storm. She was utterly still, watching us with sad, weary eyes. If she closed her eyes and crouched down, she'd be almost invisible in her dark cloak.

                "Why?" It was Celie who spoke, her voice echoing in the deafening silence. Her eyes were like emeralds, shining through the night. They were as hard as diamond and she raised her chin angrily. "You're asking her why she's calling you a...an idiot?" She laughed bitterly.