Chapter 8 - Move

My blood seemed to be pumping as loud as it could, rushing through my veins at at least a hundred miles per hour. It was loud, drowning out the screams that were now beginning to be more and more frequent. 

       My chest rose and fell rapidly as I stared at the body of the dead Fae boy. My vision seemed to include only me and him, the crowd and the noise was gone. It was like staring through a long tunnel, the sides dark and shadowed, while Cain's body was the only light coming through. 

        I didn't notice that I was on my knees on the ground until I felt the cold wetness of the grass sinking into me, right into the bone. Apart from that, I felt numb. Empty.

        Someone was speaking to me, but I couldn't hear them. All I could hear was the pounding of my heart and my ragged breathing, drowning out the world.       

         Everything seemed to be in slow motion, the people milling about frantically, unsure of what they should do, and someone was shaking me, jarring my bones that were still aching from being slammed onto the cobbles two days ago by the werewolf...what was his name?

        Lupus.

       Suddenly it hit me harder than a speeding train.

        I had just seen a boy, no older than I, killed. 

        Stabbed through the heart.

        By someone who had no reason to kill him, he could have just ignored the boy, and carried on with his life. 

       But no, he had taken his sword and thrust it into the boy's chest like a knife through butter.

        It didn't look like it had taken any effort, he hadn't shown any emotion whatsoever as he stabbed the boy. His face had been just as cold and empty as before, like he stabbed young Fae boys on a daily basis.

      He had just...I remembered the way Cain had arched back on the sword, his eyes closed tight in pain. I remembered the blood that seeped from the wound, glistening and crimson against the trademark Fae skin. I remembered the thump when he hit the ground, the dead weight the he had been carrying all his life falling to the ground where he would stay until he died. I remembered the last defiant gesture he had made, a brave and valiant thing when he was about to die.

        I supposed that if you were about to die, you would want to give your worst, most bitter enemy something to remember you by. 

       I would want that, too.     

        I shivered, feeling a cold wind suddenly attack me, biting at my skin.

        "Autumn! Autumn!" someone was shouting, their voice piercing through my misty mind. It cleared away the fogginess, making me blink and feel slightly more alive than before, when I had felt dead, numb and like nothing could separate me from Cain's body and my frazzled mind.

       I blinked, realising that I had kind of forgotten to while I was in that trance-like state. My eyes burned and tears formed, trying to moisten the golden eyes.

        I rubbed them away quickly, not wanting anyone to think that I was crying because of the boy. 

        "What?" I asked blearily, my voice slurring strangely. Strong arms were pulling me up and I managed to find my feet, only to fine that they'd gone dead and crumpled from beneath me as soon as I put any weight onto them.

        I landed on my hands and knees and looked down at the emerald blades below me, feeling a sudden tug in my navel as I retched, as a clear, phlegmy fluid that tasted sour and stung the inside of my throat came shooting from my stomach and out onto the grass.   

     I retched and retched, until nothing more was coming up, my mouth tasting sour and stingy. I needed to brush my teeth, I felt dirty. I hadn't washed since before the party, and I felt like my body was encased in a layer of sweat and dirt. I probably smelt terrible. 

        I wiped my mouth as I stood shakily and faced Angel, who was looking worried and slightly queasy. She moved to put her arm around me to support my weight.

        "You OK?" she asked quietly in my ear. I nodded, even though it was clear that I wasn't. "You're pale." she stated. I nodded, slightly distracted by the fact that I had just caught someone staring at me.

        Not just any someone.

        The boy.

        The one with the sapphire eyes.

        The boy who probably thought I was a weirdo who stared out of windows at people...come kind of creep.

        That would be just my luck.

        My heart began to speed up once again as I watched him meet my gaze, and break away from his posse to make a beeline for Angel and I. 

       I looked around quickly for an escape route, seeing none. Celie, Iris and Ffi had disappeared off to somewhere, which really wasn't helpful.     

     "Um, Angel..." I began, trying to steer her away from the approaching boy. 

      "What? Where are you taking me?" she asked, digging in her heels. Trust her to be awkward right now.       

      "Just move." I ordered, unlike myself but at the time I really didn't care. I looked behind me, seeing the boy weaving through the people, his eyes still fixed upon us. "Move, Angel. Faster!" I hissed, trying to force my wobbly legs to get me to move faster than I was, without breaking into a jog.

        My head was spinning, and it felt like I had got up too fast, swirling and spinning colours lurking at the edges of my vision. I would not faint, or fall over, or anything. 

      "Hello," came a voice, and I did just that.

       I fell over.

A/N Hope you like this chapter! Could you please comment on whether you think that her feelings have been described enough? Thanks!