Chapter 14 - Preferred

Ffi whistled through her teeth. "Nice shot, Shifter," she smiled approvingly. "I don't think even Iris or Celie even managed to hit bull's-eye the first time they tried." she sounded impressed, which made me glow with pride, even though I couldn't actually fathom how on earth - no, in the universe that I had managed to hit it. Beginner's luck, I supposed.

        "Celie?" Angel asked, disbelieving that such a...well, a girly girl would be the word to describe her personality, but she wasn't exactly your normal girl. Ffi grinned.

        "Yeah, she's our archery champion! Didn't you know?" she sounded animated, like talking about weaponry was her favourite thing in the world.

        "Celie...archery champion?" I asked. Celie does not seem the type to be a bow and arrow person. Although, she doesn't seem like the person who would go hand to hand fighting, cutting off limbs here and there in a spray of crimson. Now I think about it, it makes sense. Sort of.

        Ffi smiled, and nodded. 
        "Celie's aim is amazing, so she can work with knives too. I suppose it'll be the opposite way around for you, since you seem to be a knife person." Ffi cocked her hip to one side, and stared up at the weapon wall. "And for you..." she paused, staring at Angel. "I think I'll try you out with a sword. You look a bit like me - strong enough for slashing and hacking." she grinned.

        Angel frowned slightly, looking like she wasn't the type of person who was going to go charging through the ranks, slashing and hacking. 

        Ffi reached up and pulled down a long handled sword, in a brown and gold sheath. The tiniest bit of the blade could be seen, and it flashed in the light as it was lifted from its holder. 

        "Um-" Angel began, as Ffi passed the weapon to her, and she weighed it in her hand. "I'm not sure..." 

        "Just give it a go. Try to slice me in half," Ffi drew her sword, which made Angel's eyes widen and look positively petrified. 

        "Ffi..." she began, but Ffi just grinned. 

        "Come on, you're a beginner - I've been doing this all my life. You won't hurt me." she smiled. Angel frowned, but she lifted the sword up, and I saw her muscles strain slightly against the weight of the heavy, unbalanced sword. 

        "Autumn, get out of the way," Ffi warned and I backed away, far enough to (hopefully) not be hit by Angel.

        She shifted her legs slightly, and then, without warning, struck.

        The blade flashed, reminding me all too well of the shadow that had attacked Wynn and I when we were out on that walk. 

        Ffi lifted her sword in her left hand, unsheathing the second with her right. Sparks flew, and I saw a blur of silver come in on the side - Ffi's second sword!

        My hands flew to my mouth and I was about to cry out when I saw a flash of light and heard another clang. Angel, miraculously, had managed to stop the blade in its tracks. 

        I watched, breathing deeply as they fought, Ffi more like a ballet dancer than a warrior, Angel moving slightly uncertainly, but it was definite that her preference was the sword. I could see that, if she had the proper training, she would end up being very good. 

        The fight broke up, and Ffi shook Angel's hand enthusiastically after sheathing her swords. 

        "Nice," she grinned. "You're a swordswoman, like me!"