Chapter 32 - Sacrifice

Water was pounding against my ears, my eyes were shut tight and I was trying my hardest not to scream. I felt like I was being pummelled from all sides by huge giants with sticks. I was being pulled along by another giant, who had grabbed my ankle and was pulling me around so fast I felt like I imagined rally drivers would feel on the track.

            My lungs were beginning to burn slightly, like a small match had been ignited inside them. But I couldn't open my mouth - I would scream and the water would rush in and down my windpipe and I would drown.

            But I couldn't breathe!

            I panicked, thrashing around in the water like it would release me if I struggled enough. It didn't. I hit something hard with my arm, feeling a streak of fire run down it. I couldn't stop myself.

            I screamed.

            I screamed and screamed and screamed.

            I screamed so loud I thought my lungs would explode, which is what it felt like. Water was streaming down my throat, cutting off my cries and I knew I was drowning.

            It didn't hurt. I felt calm, calmer than I ever had in my whole life. I knew I was dying, but still I wasn't afraid. I didn't worry for once. It was nice, not having to worry. Maybe it would be better, wherever people went after death.

            I opened my eyes. If I was going to die, I wanted to have something beautiful to take from this life and into whatever happened next. I couldn't see anything beautiful - only brown, rushing water pummelling me hard, pushing me this way and that.

            My lungs were protesting even more now. I could either breathe in water and drown, or...I didn't know what other options I had if I couldn't struggle out of the strong grasp of the water.

            I flailed around one last time, black spots dancing at the edges of my vision. I imagined shouts, yells, faintly filtering into my dying mind. My arm slammed into something again, but this time it didn't hurt. I felt something wrap around my arm and I seemed to stop moving.

            Another shout in my brain. Maybe it's you imagining being rescued when in fact you're dying, I thought to myself, when suddenly I was flying.

            My eyes were still closed tight, but I could feel the dropping sensation as my stomach fell to my knees and I gave in. I opened my mouth and sucked in a huge mouthful of...oxygen?

            I opened my eyes and didn't see dark, rushing water, but in fact light, and clouds. How did I get out of the water?

            I looked behind me and screamed again. I was falling, faster than a plunging peregrine falcon, down to a small green field where four tiny figures were stood. Something whipped over my shoulder, and I screamed again.

            Suddenly I stopped, about ten feet from the ground. I could see the figures clearly now. There was Iris, her hair out of the usual braid and floating around her head like she'd just been electrocuted. She was concentrating hard, her mouth set in a grimace and her eyebrows furrowed, her eyes firmly set on me. I saw Celie and Angel, their hands over their mouths and their eyes wide. Angel looked like she was going into shock, she was so pale. Asya looked at me like I was some strange bird that she wanted to dissect. Her eyes had darkened to the colour of fresh blood, and I wondered how long it had been since she had fed. I didn't want her to end up drinking our blood. They were all soaking wet, like they had fallen into the water too. How had they managed to escape the deadly current then?

            "L-let me - d-down!" I yelled, my teeth chattering in the cold wind. Iris frowned harder, lowering her arms slightly and I fell to about five feet above the ground, when she let me go and I landed on the ground.

            I took a deep gulp of air, like a starving person who had just been presented with a feast. A shadow fell over me.

            "We have to go, Otto!" Angel yelled, looking behind her in fear. "They're coming!" Her eyes were beginning to change to the cat-eye look that she got when she Changed, and I knew it was bad. But I was so tired, I couldn't get up...I just wanted to lie down here and sleep.

            "Get up!" ordered Iris, her face drained and pale, but determined. She looked like the dip in the moat had done her good - that or my lecture, but I doubted it was the latter. She held out a hand. "C'mon, we have to get going else they'll catch us!" she pleaded. I nodded mutely, trying to push myself up from the floor. I felt Angel heave, and then I was up and I saw what they were all so afraid of.

            A huge, dark mass of soldiers were advancing, their weapons shining in the noonday glow. It was like a cloud had covered the sun, they were marching silently like a storm cloud. I could feel the tension in the air. They would not leave any survivors if they caught us.

            "Run." Celie whispered, and then we were off.

            We sprinted across the field in a matter of seconds. It was like springs had been tied to our feet as we hurdled logs in the forest, the cool air in the shade of the trees cooling our skin. I could see Asya to my left, a blur of dark hair and pale skin. If I looked to my right, Celie was there, using her wings to give her leverage over the logs. Further right, was Angel. She had managed to change into a wolf at will for the first time, and was dashing through the trees like a dark brown bullet. I heard Iris at my heels, panting hard. She was the only one out of us who couldn't run fast. I had to help her.

            I stopped, grabbing Iris by her hand. "Climb on my back." I panted, and she nodded, jumping at my back and grabbing hold of my neck so tight I thought she was going to choke. But then she settled and I could breathe again.

            And we were running again. Iris' weight on my back slowed me down, though, and soon the others were far ahead. I would have to...the only solution would be to Shift, but I hadn't done that since the attack on the Camp, when Wynn betrayed us all.

            I didn't think I could do it, but the word slammed into my mind once more. Shift!

            I didn't hesitate, I just leaped forward, my hands outstretched to reach the leaves, Iris screaming in my ear.

            I kept running, not caring what I was. I was fast though - that much I knew. my legs were long and springy, my body lean and muscular. I could feel Iris' hands around my head, and her weight on my back, but suddenly I didn't care anymore. I could run fast and hold her at the same time. Maybe we would survive after all.

            I heard twigs cracking and heavy footfalls behind us and didn't dare look back. I sped through the trees, trying to ignore the niggling tiredness that was closing in on me.

            I could see Angel, Asya and Celie up ahead. They seemed to be slowing, and...were they stopping? Why? We had to get away from the soldiers, if we stayed we would die...

            We caught up to them in a matter of minutes. They were in a small clearing, looking pale and tired and like they were going to fall down in exhaustion. I felt the same way, now the adrenaline was wearing off.

            Iris clambered off me, landing softly on the leafy carpet and running to Celie. Celie hugged her tight as I changed back to my human form. Immediately I collapsed to my knees, but pushed myself back up. If we were to make a stand, I wanted to at least see my attackers. I wouldn't be the weak link.

            "Why are...we stopped?" I panted, holding my stomach, which was growling insistently. I needed food if we were to carry on all the way back to the Camp. All this running had really taken its toll on me - and now I saw why we had to take a morning run every day. I would never have managed it this far if it weren't for them.

            "We can't all escape. We're too slow." Asya answered, her voice careful and measured. I shivered - she was planning something.

            "What do you suggest?" Celie demanded, sounding like her mother. Asya met our eyes.

            "You carry on. I'll hold them off for as long as I can." she smiled sadly, her eyebrows tilting. I shook my head.

            "No!" I said, louder than I had intended. Everyone looked at me. "We can't do this!" I struggled to find the right words, the ones that would convince everyone. "We're all meant to survive this, isn't that what happens in all the stories?" My voice rose a notch.

            Celie shook her head. "But this isn't a story, Autumn," she said quietly. "It's the only way. Please."

            "Let me go instead!" I was grasping at straws, of course they wouldn't let me go. Asya spoke with quiet assurance.

            "I'll be fine, Autumn. Remember-" her voice broke slightly, and I could tell she was afraid, but she masked it well. "Remember that vampires are immortal." she smiled, her red eyes lighting up in bravery. "I hope you all get to the Camp." she smiled. "Now go." she waved her slender hand, and then started to walk towards the oncoming troops.

            "No!" I yelled, running to Asya, but suddenly Iris' invisible hand wrapped around my waist, holding me firmly in place.

            "Do you want to die, or something?" she demanded angrily. "Even if you do, I don't." she pulled me over to her with a force that I couldn't match, not even if I had transformed into a bear. "Now Shift into that antelope thing again." she told me, and I took a last look over my shoulder, before stifling a sob and Shifted. There was no hope for Asya now.

            We heard sounds of a fight behind us, and I didn't look back again. We took off through the trees once more. Dodging the rabbit holes and roots gave me something to take my mind off Asya's sacrifice, but I couldn't stop the tears from leaking from my antelope eyes.

            We stopped when the trees began to become less dense and close together. The sun was setting, casting strange shadows across the leaves and making our silhouettes lengthen as it sank beneath the hills. We thought we were far enough away, but obviously we were wrong.

            The last thing we heard before night fell, was a bloodcurdling scream - and then nothing.

 A/N Hi everyone! Hope you liked the chapter! I'm pretty pleased with it if I say so myself :) Okay, I want to ask you guys a question - what do you think about Autumn's nickname being changed to Otto or Otty? Personally I quite like it, but I want to know what you guys think. It's sorta boyish and it suits her, I think.

"One lives in the hope of becoming a memory." - Antonio Porchia

Stay Inspiring,
Cat
xxx