Chapter 39 - Teacher

"War?" my voice shot up an octave. I could almost feel the blood drain from my face and my fingers go cold. "You - you mean -"

            Wynn's face was grave. "Yes, I mean real war. Not anything like you've ever seen before." he said sadly.

            "What are we going to do?" I asked, clenching my fists tight so they wouldn't shake. My voice shook, though, and I could tell he had noticed. "We can't let them all die again, like - like before." I whispered. He was silent. "Do they know? Have you told them?"

            He nodded. "Oberon is going to give a speech at dinner. You're going to be getting up early to train - and you'll be training all day until dark." I gulped. It was summer, still, and the sun went down late. We would be trained until we became warriors - or at least better ones than we were. "I'm so sorry."

            I stood. "Don't be, it's not your fault." I smiled at him for a moment, trying to conceal my emotions, before walking out of the Recovery Ward. I had some explaining to do.

            The next morning, a horn sounded loudly, waking me with a jolt. I groaned. The sun was only just rising above the hills, turning the usually blue sky to a peachy gold, streaked with yellow. The wind was brisk and chilly, and soon we were shivering and rubbing our arms to try and keep the heat in.

            "Alright everyone, listen!" came a yell from Zachariah, one of the other Leaders. He worked along with Ffi to teach us - and I could swear she had a crush on him. He wasn't unattractive  either, with a mop of long dark hair and dark skin hiding well-muscled arms. He also wore a permanent smile, and didn't treat Angel and I like we were babies because we knew a lot less than most others, who had grown up here. "We all have to work together here, in times of hardship." he called, his deep voice ringing out in the silence. "War is coming. And there's nothing we can do to stop it. We have two weeks!" he shouted, as whispers broke out among the crowd.

            "Quiet!" yelled Ffi from behind Zachariah. She looked angry - dangerous. She knew the severity of war. She knew that it was likely that most of us would not survive the next few weeks. Zachariah didn't even appreciate her getting everyone to shut up. He carried on talking as if she'd done nothing.

            "Two weeks." his voice was quieter now. "And in those two weeks, we will turn you all into warriors!" there was a roar of appreciation at this. I smiled. Maybe there was hope, after all. "But, let me say this." he paused. "If you are not ready to fight and die for the cause, you're better off leaving now. We want only the strongest. If you're not prepared to fight and die...leave now."

            For three long breaths, nothing happened. Then, all at once, someone broke free from the crowd. I recognised them - a group of witches who were good fighters. They were best at hand to hand fighting, and I had seen them knock out a fully grown man with one punch. I didn't know them well, Angel and I had always kept as far as we could away from them. I think they were Hana, Evy, and Gem, but I couldn't be sure. Angel knew the names of the Rebels better than I did.

            Evy cocked her head to one side, her hand on her hip. I frowned, watching from behind someone's back.
            "I'm not taking that chance." she said steadily, her grey eyes calm. "I have a family out of here, and I can't let them suffer if I die. Is anyone else with me?" she called, her voice small and shaking slightly. No one moved. I felt a rush of pride - they were all prepared to die for this cause. I only wished I could be that brave and give my life if it was necessary.

            Zachariah nodded, holding out his hand to the young witches. He smiled sadly, embracing each one. "It's been a pleasure to know you. Good luck." he ran a hand through his hair as the crowd parted silently to let the witches through. After they had gone, suddenly our numbers seemed to small. We were only a few hundred, if that. How on earth would we survive against the thousands of skilled warriors that Balthazar had? The trained fighters who would stop at nothing for their cause?