Chapter 15 - Golden Eyes

A/N Just as a warning, I won't be updating from today until Thursday, when I've got an exam, and so until then, I'll be revising and I won't have any time to write. So, so sorry, but I can't afford to do badly in this - even though I probably will, but I can't take any chances. Wish me luck in it!! :)

        The training in the morning was hard, and Angel and I walked to lunch with our biceps and triceps burning. We dragged our feet tiredly to the food tent, a big gazebo with a buffet table in the middle surrounded by hundreds of tables. 

        The food was weird, to say the least. There was raw fish, which some Fae were eating quite happily, something greenish yellow that I decided to steer well clear of, and so many other dishes that people were munching on that I couldn't believe there was this much food.

        Angel and I stuck to safer options - we found a salmon hidden in the depths of the table, its milky pale eye staring at us, unseeing. I shuddered - I had never liked fish, but it seemed like we had no choice.

        We sat with Ffi, Iris and Rania. The two younger ones chattered away, still on the same subject as they were this morning - something about a whale?

        Ffi munched quietly on a beetroot (or at least I think it was a beetroot) sandwich, her violet eyes watching the crowd with a slight frown. 

        It was awkward, yet at the same time comfortable, which makes absolutely no sense, but it's the only way to describe it. I felt like I'd been in this kind of situation before, which of course I hadn't. 

        At lunch, we attracted many curious glances, but no one came near because of Ffi. After we had all eaten, we were led back to the tent for the afternoon activity.

        "This afternoon, you're in for a challenge - the obstacle courses."

        Everyone groaned.

        "Ugh, I'm going to get all muddy!" exclaimed a girl disgustedly. 

        "Oh, come on, it's not that bad, it's only a bit of mud. We'll get a lot worse when King B attacks, and yes, I do say when because we all know it's coming, and it's coming even faster now we have a Shifter-" Iris clapped her hands to her mouth.

        I froze.

        "Oh my God, I'm so sorry!" she apologised, looking up at me, which of course led everyone to stare at me. 

        "Shifter, did she say?"

        "But-"

        "We haven't had a Shifter for fifteen years!"

        "How can this happen?" 

        "More importantly, how do we know she's not a spy?" someone asked, crossing their arms. 

        "I'm not a spy!" I exclaimed angrily, my temper rising as I stood up to the speaker. He was tall, with the blue eyes of the warlocks, and dark hair that swept across his wide forehead like a wave about to crest. He looked exactly like one of those arrogant guys who thought the world revolved around them. I despised him already.

        "She's not a spy, Finn." Ffi told him. He set his jaw stubbornly.

        "How do you know?" He asked, crossing his arms.

        "She didn't know she was one until yesterday. She was in London - and they were attacked by Lupus-" when Ffi said the name, everyone stiffened, like the name was dangerous. "And her friend was bitten." Ffi finished, and Angel blushed, bowing her head like she often did when she was embarrassed.

        "Leave her alone, Finn." came Wynn's voice, and I looked up to see the dark haired warlock walking over to stand next to me.

        I was silent for a moment in surprise. 

        The surly, sulky warlock who had threatened to throw me off the cliff last time I had spoken to him, was standing up for me?

        Now that was something I didn't expect.

        Finn scowled, and slunk back off into the crowd.

        "Now, has anyone got anything more to say about Autumn?" Wynn asked, almost like a challenge. He glared out at the crowd. 

        No one answered.

        "Good," Wynn said shortly.