Chapter 6 - Colours

I was seriously beginning to regret my decision. Oberon had led us to another room, the same size as our hospital rooms but windowless, which made me panic slightly. Didn't they use windowless rooms for executions? 

                But no, he left us with Celie and told us to meet him outside where he would 'begin our training', which sounded slightly scary. My stomach churned at the thought of having to be trained with weapons. Would I have to kill someone? I sucked in a breath sharply; I didn't want to have to take someone's life.

                "So, what colours should we put you in?" Celie mused, cocking her hip to one side and frowning at me. I bit the inside of my cheek. What did she mean?

                "What?" Keira asked, voicing my thoughts. Celie tilted her head to one side and chewed on her thumbnail.

                "You know that whatever species you are, your eyes are a specific colour, right?" she smiled. "Like Fae eyes are green, Warlock's are blue, Witch's are grey, Elemental's are violet, Werewolves' are brown, Vampires are red and Shades have black eyes, and so on. So basically, you wear whatever colour your eyes are. It makes everything a lot easier. So...you, Keira, come here." Celie explained, beckoning Keira towards her. 

                "Isn't that ...um, species-ist?" I wondered. "Can't you wear whichever colour you want?" It all sounded very strange to me.

                "No. We wear the same colour as our eyes. Come on!" Celie said impatiently, rolling her eyes. I almost expected her to stamp her foot. Keira and I exchanged a knowing glance - she reminded us both of Rylie.

                 Keira walked over to Celie, towering over the tiny Faerie, who didn't look at all intimidated as she sized her up like she wanted to fight her. "Hm...okay, here you go." Celie walked over to one of the walls, and pressed. 

                A cupboard opened  silently, to reveal hangers and hangers of those leather waistcoats, coloured tunics and dark brown trousers. She cocked her head for a moment and darted forward, jumping up to the tallest shelf, fluttering her wings slightly to give her lift (which was really weird - I'd only just got used to the fact that it was actually possible to have wings), and floated gracefully down holding some brown material.

                "Um..." Keira said, gaping at the grinning blonde.

                "You two are very funny!" Celie laughed, handing her the clothes. "Go behind there to change." she pointed to the old-fashioned changing screen over by the wall. Keira disappeared behind it, throwing the clothes over the top so they hung out like washing out to dry.

                "Don't look!" she called from behind the screen. She had been self-conscious of her appearance since she went swimming in a bikini and some of the boys from our school called her fat and pushed her off the deep end of the pool - when she couldn't swim.

                "Don't worry, we won't!" I called back tiredly. This happened every single time she had to change clothes, so I was used to it by now. I turned to Celie, who was regarding me with a frown.

                "So, if we have to wear the same colour as our eyes, does that mean that I have to wear gold? Because I'll look stupid, I can promise you that." I told her, hoping she wouldn't put me in something sequinned or glittery. I could imagine her giving me something like that.

                "Well..." Celie's frown deepened, biting her lip. "We haven't had any Shifters for fifteen years, so we thought  you'd died out. So we have no gold material... I don't really know what to do." she stared up at me, the green meeting the gold.