Chapter Twenty - Not So Innocent Torment

***
"Sister Dianne?"

"She's where she always is Charlie" I turned to leave when the other nurse placed a hand on my shoulder. "Charlie, she's very ill. Sometimes she is normal and remembers but other times she believes something else is a reality, she might not remember you." I smiled and gave her a reassuring nod, it happened several times during our last conversation but each time I showed her the handkerchief's she made me her memory came back.

"Come on" Aaron nodded and followed behind me, just like last time she was sitting in the exact position in the church house. We walked over and sat in the booth with her, I was sandwiched between Aaron and Sister Dianne. I took the handkerchiefs from my wallet and handed her one, a weak smile spread across her lips.

"Charlie Brown, I forgot Snoopy didn't I honey?" I handed her the other and she turned to face me. "You kept them together?" I nodded.

"I promised. Do you remember that day?" A tear slid down her cheek and she covered one of my hands with hers, she was trembling.

"I'm so sorry honey, you hid it from us till the point where...I'm so sorry" I gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"It wasn't your fault sister, the person who's to blame he..."

"I never thought you'd come back. Not after the things that happened to you here" I felt Aaron tense beside me and I swallowed. "Dallas" I cringed at the name and memories of everything he did to me came rushing back. "He...he was a disturbed boy Charlie, the things he witnessed before coming here. I know it's no excuse but when he watched children get adopted, loved and cared for it made him lash out. You bore the brunt of it, my sweet Charlie...I saw how much he enjoyed hurting you and I'm only sorry I couldn't always stop it." I let out a deep breath and I saw Aaron's hands fist on his thighs form the corner of my eyes. "Charlie Brown and Snoopy" she studied the handkerchief's and I knew she was gone again.

"Hello Sister Dianne" she smiled sweetly and caressed my face.

"Charlie...you kept them together."

"Always, I promised" I sat with her for a while before leaving. Both Aaron and I were silent and I didn't dare look at him, I didn't want to see pity in his eyes for me. That was the last thing I wanted to see. I stopped at the gate and froze at where Blake had seen what Dallas was doing to me; he only saw part of it. He was going to tie me up again and light matches, he would hover them close to me and watch me squirm, I hit him that time and tried to run and find Sister Dianne but he was much larger, much faster and much stronger. He caught me with ease and slammed me against the gate; he was strangling me when Blake tackled him to the ground. My hands moved subconsciously to my throat at the memory.

"Charlie-" He placed a hand on my shoulder and I stepped away.

"Don't. Don't you dare pity me!"

"I don't pity you Charlie, if anything I admire you more. How can you love like you do after everything you've been through? How are you, you?" I turned to face him finally and there wasn't a shred of pity in his eyes. "Did he...did he ever?" I saw him clench his jaw and I slid my arms under his and around his middle. I pressed my face into his chest and he slowly brought his hands to hold me against himself.

"No...He liked torturing me more" his grip tightened and I could feel him tensing with anger.

"Why didn't you tell anybody? Even Sister Dianne said you hid it for so long-"

"I did...I told my uncle everything. He saw the scars from everything Dallas was doing to me. I begged him every day to take me from here and he kept promising he would, until finally he stopped visiting all together. He left me here, with Dallas even though he knew everything." I didn't have to look at him to see his anger transfer from Dallas to Noel. I heard him curse before placing a kiss on the top of my head, I allowed myself a few minutes to breathe him in and take comfort in his arms before pulling away. "I didn't tell anybody else because I was scared and when my uncle wouldn't do anything I didn't think anybody else would either. Blake saw me and Dallas one day."