Chapter 15: Escaping Darkness

I know I haven't updated because I have been dealing with a few things. So here is the next chapter. :)

___________________________________________________

******

Mariam's POV

*********

I stared at the journal, blinking hard. It was old and dusty. The page in front of me was yellowish and smelled musty.

The atmosphere in the room suddenly turning into an unexplainable feeling. My heart thudded and I'm sure Adam was able to hear it, who was still and was waiting for my reply. I tried to move my muscles. Was I frozen in fear? No. It was a mixed feelings. After somewhat long minutes, I got my body back and my hands started shaking. I began reading that journal entry that was written in curvy letters and slanted. They were rushed, quickly written, hinting that Amina was in fear while writing.

I took a deep breath and read the journal entry out loud, with a shaken voice.

Year 2015

Another day in the wrecked place. I still needed a way to escape...

I was informed on why I was kidnapped after many years. Wait, I hear footsteps coming towards me. I also hear

That was it. It stopped on 'hear' and nothing else was written. I looked at the other pages. After each journal entry, the pages were ripped and looked like Amina had stored them somewhere else. But this entry, it was still here, probably forcefully taken by the person she had mentioned that was coming towards her. Just by reading this, I knew she was alive and in danger. I got up all of a sudden, and Adam, who was leaning over my shoulder, reading, jumped back.

"Where did you find this?" I demanded.

"Find what?" He tried to act dumbfounded.

"This!" I waved the journal over his face. "Where. Did. You. Find. This?"

"Somewhere." He shrugged and took out a cigarette, about to light it. I slapped his hand and the cigarette flew across the room. He pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Why the hell?" He towered me but I stood my ground.

"Where did you find the journal?!"

"It's part of the information I hold."

"What information exactly are you talking about?" I furrowed my eyebrows. There was a moment of silence, both of us breathing lightly. He scrunched his nose and looked away.

"If you know this right now, you'll be in danger." His voice was calm, which scared me. "Just keep that journal. I'll be going." He put his hood over his head and walked down. I didn't follow him.

____________________________

*****

No One's POV

*********

The assistant walked down the stairs slowly, not making a sound. His shadows danced about, and sweat rolled down his face. He was soon in an underground tunnel. The lit torches caused a spooky atmosphere and the man was sure he was being followed. He remembered his last conversation with the maniac man that hit him with a force. He needed to escape.