Chapter 24: Preparing

(Non-edited version | Will be edited)

"It's not years that made us closer, but the strong quality that bonds us together. Quality beats quantity anytime."

********

Mariam's POV

********

We didn't get anywhere. It was entirely impossible to escape. Even if we did, where would we go? Not back to our home sweet home, or course. Underground? That doesn't sound nice. We'll be in fear of losing our lives. Here, well, we are not held for execution.

"It's been hours, Mariam. It's almost dinner. We haven't gotten anywhere. What are we going to do now?" Maymoona whined and hugged her knees close to her chest, in the corner of the bed. I was afraid it might collapse any second. I sighed and leaned against the wall. It was cracked and dusty. It didn't feel very nice.  

"I really don't know, Moon. We need an opportunity. A gap. Everything is closed. All the entrances, all the tunnels. The rooms. Guards everywhere. We can't kill them either."

"Can we just forget about escaping?"

"Why?" I looked at her as if she was insane.

"It's just, I'm afraid of dying."

I shake my head and half smile. "Afraid of dying? Isn't everyone? Hey, we'll die anyways if we just stand around and do nothing. Better to take action. Things will be done faster."

"Well, sure. But I'm not ready yet. Mayb-'' Maymoona was cut off due to the heavy knocking taking place at the door. I snapped my head to pay attention to the noise.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Altai."

Maymoona and I stood up straight as I told him he could come in. He came in quietly, panting. He removed his hood and shut the door behind him. It made a faint creak as it closed.

"What is it?" Maymoona raised an eyebrow. A perfect, round arch drawn smoothly on her forehead.

"An escape plan is set up." Altai replied. I blinked.

"What?"

And then he goes on about how we escapers will use Yamato's execution to run away and live on an island.

"But what about Yamato?" Maymoona questioned. I didn't like it either, the way we were taking advantage of his death.

"There's no other way to get out. Only few people can make it. Do you want to be one of those few?"

 "Isn't there any other way?" My voice was hopeful.

"No. I'm afraid not."

"Oh." Mariam sighed and looked at me. "Do you want to be involved?"

I thought about it. If I stayed back, things would be worse. Immortia would be in a scary state. He could even kill me. But Amina was still here. I needed to figure out why she's still alive. So many mysteries are still uncovered. If I ran away and lived on an island, I wouldn't be happy either. I'd live in that regretful bubble because my curiousness failed to know the deadly secrets that could save a human life. Probably even save more people.

"I'm going to be involved. But we're not going to go to any island, whatsoever. We have many things we need to accomplish over here.

Maymoona nodded. "Alright."

Altai looked at us for a few moments and finally spoke. "As you wish. But once the plane leaves, it isn't coming back. Are you sure you both want to stay behind?"