chapter nineteen: Mourning in white

I opened my heavy eyes, it felt like there was a film over my eyes.  I opened my eyes wider, I groaned, where was I?  I tried to move, my leg was singing, there was a bloody gauze covering my wound.  I turned my neck, it was stiff, really stiff.  I cracked my neck, and attempted to prop myself up on the pillows. 

I felt like screaming the whole time, but I did it.  My aching body was up, I opened my mouth, my chaped lips cracked, the blood streamed into my mouth.  I tried to move, I fell out of my bed, landing face first.  I expected Flory to come running in, but she didn't.  I yelled, Olive came running in, she gasped.  Jake came in behind her, he looked at me and smiled.  I smiled back, pursing my lips.

"So you like being suicideal eh?  You must break that habit,"  He looked at me and shook his head, Olive tisked me. 

"Well,"  I was cut off by Kristina.

"Well, well, well, we missed you.  Cassandra is dead, but we must make sure her body is disposed of properly, or she could take over someones body. So-"  She looked kinda stressed.

"Disposed of properly, she is not an animal, where is Flory ?"  I glared at her, so did Olive, she was our mother not some disease spreading rat.

"Incinerated and burried.  Flory is dead, and Austine is back at her home, like nothing ever happened."  She said it so bluntly, it hit my hard, she was dead. It came back to me, like a tidal wave.  Everything was crashing over me, all at once, not giving me a break.  It smashed me.

"Olive, are you ok, you got swiped at pretty bad?"  I looked at her, Cassandra had nailed her arm just before she got out, or someone did. 

"Are you joking me? Look at your self!"  She snickered, I looked down and I saw the gauze on my leg again, but there also was a bruise over my moon birthmark, and on my hand, it looked like it had been broken. 

I looked down, and sat up, I winced.  I flung my legs out of bed before anyone had a chance to protest and I fell down, Jake caught me.  I kept putting one foot in front of the other, until I got to my dresser.  I grabbed out white jeans, and a white shirt. Every one stared at me.

"White was Florys favorite color," I whispered hoursly as tears spilled from my eyes.  I couldn't stop, Jake assisted me to the bathroom to change and I went in alone to change clothes. After ten painful minutes, I was dressed, my shirt askew, my shorts crooked, and my hair looked like a crows nest. 

I brushed my fingers through my thick, matted, hair and walked out of the bathroom, only Jake was still waiting for me.   I stumbled across the room to him.  He chuckled and looked down at my shorts.  They were crooked and the pockets were sticking out, a old mint was melted in to the pocket because I didn't take it out before giving it to Flory so she could wash it.  I slowly started putting my hand down to fix it, but Jake beat me.

He fixed my shorts and put the pockets back inside the shorts where they belonged.  Then he fixed my shirt, now it wasn't half way on and backwards.  He gently grabbed my hand and slowly escorted me to the bathroom.

"Where is your brush?"  He looked at me and started riffling through the drawer to which I pointed at.  He smiled when he finally found my black brush, it was full of hair, he cleaned the hair from my brush and put the pile of hair that acculmulated in the trashcan where it belonged.

"Where-oww-"  He was brushing my hair and it was extremly knotty so it was really hurting my scalp.

"Sorry," He muttered.  "Tell me if this hurts, and what were you saying?"  He was brushing my hair from the tips to the top now.  It hurt a lot less, he was pretty good at this stuff.  Out of the corner of my eye I was a girl running in white down the lawn, then I felt wierd all over, like I was being stabbed with tooth picks.  A shiver ran up my back, like when people do magic on me, I felt all cold on the inside but that quickly changed in to a burning. 

For a minute I lost my breath, I sucked in to get my breath back.  It was really wierd, I caught my breath and went back to watching Jake in the mirror, the pain in my hair seemed like a lot less now.

"Where did you learn to do this stuff?"  I asked him following his movments with my eyes in the mirror.  His face changed from a smile to a frown, it was like the changing of the mask operas they have in china exept this was real life, he looked puzzled.  "What?"   I asked, I spun around.  I learned that it didn't hurt to move anymore.  I lifted my arms up and stared at me then lowered my arms back to my painless sides.

"Well, all of the knots just came out, and the bruise on your neck went away?"  His voice was shaking. My hand shot to my neck, and I grabbed my neck, with both hands now.  I was feeling my neck when I relized Jake's jaw was just about on the floor.  I stood up and stood next to him, I gave him a big hug.

"I have no idea what just happened but I am better!  Lets go and tell every one-wait, do you think that they told every one about Flory?"  I looked up at Jake, then I remembered I had been gone for so long, and I never really got close to them like Flory did. "Wait, do you think that they will remeber me?"  I looked down at the floor scuffing my feet on the ground.

"Hold the phone, did you really just ask that question?  You just saved the fate of the world, of course they will remember you!"  He put my face in his arms and hugged me tight.  I love Jake, he always comforts me.

"Hold the phone again, the mission was secret!  I guess we have to go down and at least tell Flory- Oh yeah,"  A single lonley tear slipped out of my eye and fell to the floor making a little wet spot.  No more came, just that one.  "I mean lets tell Kristina, she would like to know.  And Olive too."  I looked in to Jaked eyes and hugged him back.

We began walking down stairs after a little while.  I walked in to the training room, Kristina was already speaking.  "On a secret mission we sent a single group of people on one of them came back dead, and the other severly injured.  Flory was killed and Kira was severly injured, it's a wonder she lived with the injurys she had.  But on the upside the others were unharmed and we brought in a new recruit.  Olive step on the stage."  She was doon talking for the time being, she would tell them in a miniute.  The agents began booing Olive. Some one threw something at her and it barely missed her.

I flew to the stage and caught a water bottle that some one was throwing at her.  "She saved the  mission, she saved my life, and she also saved a few other people lives, so if you want to boo Olive go up and boo her to her face up here on stage now, and if you have nothing else nice to say don't say it, as stated by our good friend bambi.  Do it now I dare you!"  I screamed at the people I glared at them and threw the water bottle at the wall and it exploded getting the person who threw it soaked.

"What happened to 'it's a wonder she lived with the injurys she had'?" Some idiot muttered.  I spun my head around to face the dip stick who said that.