Chapter 11

It has been close to a week now ever since the incident with Harry has occured. An awfully long and horribly boring week. In all this time I have not left the house, not once, not unless absolutely necessary. Neither have I gone to the beach to watch the sunset, which I now associate with one of my worst memories. But I know that I can't hide myself away for forever, no matter how tempting that may be. I walk through the woods in complete silence, my expression turning sad once I arrive at the beach, a lump forming in my throat. Slowly, I step onto the sand and despite not having expected for him to be here, it still hurts me. It meant everything to me. Every little moment we shared had a meaning, at least for me. To him, it apparently never meant anything at all. Or did it?

I stare out at the lake, not really seeing anything at all, when I suddenly hear Brett behind me, a mocking tone in his voice, "how's the love?"

I bite down on my tongue, feeling immensely irritable. I don't turn around to face him, nor do I give him any other type of acknowledgement. He doesn't deserve any kind of reaction from me. This is all his doing. I knew it the moment that I touched Harry's shoulder, when he flinched away in pain. I know it was Brett.

"What? Are you mute or something?"

I inhale deeply, trying hard to ignore his presence. Which is damn near impossible, because just the idea of him being here is already more then enough to piss me off.

"Did I break your little heart?"

Finally I turn to him, no expression on my face. I squint my eyes, before moving to walk past him, but I change my mind and stop right in front of him, giving him a cold look, "no one breaks my heart."

"We'll see about that." He grins and I struggle hard not to roll my eyes in annoyance, before walking away from him.

I turn around one last time, "maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day you will get what you fucking deserve."

It is astonishing that he doesn't follow after me, although it makes me feel as if he's up to no good. Like he is plotting to do something unspeakable. Normally he'd search the entirety of the woods to get to me. Which just now makes me realize through how much trouble they'd actually go to find me. How much time they've spend, or rather how much time they've wasted, running after me. It's almost funny. Almost. My eyes stay glued onto the ground as I walk through the trees, when I suddenly feel myself collide with someones chest, causing for me to fall backwards. I look up to see Harry standing in front of me and I can barely even look at him.

Instead of helping me up from the ground as he would usually do, he bursts out laughing. But not the sweet, amused kind of laugh, this time, it is unfriendly and unpleasant, "what the fuck is wrong with you? You can't even walk like a normal person."

Ignoring both his insult and the pain, I get back up, glaring at him. "Stop pretending to be this vile, unpleasant person."

"You don't know me."

"I know you better than you think." I respond, trying my best to talk some sense into him. "I know that Brett was spying on us the other night and I know he hurt you because of what he saw. I may be stupid, but I'm not retarded."

He opens his mouth, ready to interrupt me, but I hold up my hand, not allowing him to say a word. "And you're terrified. Terrified they'll see us again and beat you up once more. But whatever you may do, however cruel you may be to me, I will not give up on you."

He stares at me for a moment, before brushing past me, bumping his shoulder against mine, "just leave me alone."

"Don't give up on me." I mumble after him, causing for him to stop walking as he slightly turns his head, letting me know that he's listening, "don't give up on us, on our friendship. Don't let that stupid bastard ruin everything. You want to be the big boy? You want to be the alpha? Then step the fuck up before you lose everything for good." I don't say anything else, I've said all that was on my mind. All he needs, is a little courage to stand up against Brett.

Along the way, I spot Adam with another glass jar in his hands. He looks at me and instantly scurries off into the forest, that little coward. Don't fear, Harry. You might not be there for me, but I will always be there for you.