Chapter 20

My vision is blurry and I feel faint as I stare at the scene in front of me. They're all talking, but I can't hear a single word they're saying. I try to move, but my limbs feel heavy and the rope is holding me back against the tree. I look around, my head spinning and feeling as if I can't breath, as if I'm choking.

"Look at me, man." I can hear Brett's voice, but it sounds as if it's miles away, yet so close at the same time, "wanna be in our gang? Prove yourself, then."

I furrow my brows, trying to process whatever he's saying. It takes a while for the emotions to kick in. Sadness, despair and above all else, rage. That Adam would do such an atrocious thing. That he would betray innocent people like this, knowing exactly what would happen to them. It makes my blood boil. I grit my teeth in fury, seeing Brett push a small box of lucifers into Adam's hands and I can feel the anger inside of me take over control.

"No, please." He whimpers. I watch in terror and don't know whether I should feel bad for Adam or not.

"Adam, no, please... don't do this!" Jenny screams, realizing just as I do what's about to go down.

I feel my entire body trembling and I try to pull loose, but to no avail. I scream in frustration, before throwing my head back against the tree. I close my eyes, feeling as if giving up is the only option at the moment. Brett takes a few steps and squats down next to me, causing for me to lean away from him as far as I possibly can. I try to turn my head away, but he forces me to look up at him. "You," he looks me in the eyes, a sick grin on his face. I bite the inside of my cheek, trying hard not to lose control. "You'll watch the bitch and her dead boyfriend burn." His smirk grows wider and I look up at him, feeling nothing but disgust and hatred towards this psychopath. I don't say anything. I just continue to stare him down, trying not to show any emotion. "After that, I'll let Harry kill you. See, I feel like he's never stopped caring for you and although I told him I'd kill him if he'd let you escape.. I think letting him kill you would be a greater punishment. He'll have to live with that for the rest of his pathetic life."

My breath hitches in my throat and I quickly focus my gaze on the ground, not wanting to see his grin anymore. How could anyone be like this? I watch as he stands back up and makes his way back over to Adam.

Adam lights on one of the matches and holds it above the wood in front of Jenny, his hands trembling. I glance around and see Harry looking at me, biting his lip. I silently plead for him to come and help me, to help Jenny, but he doesn't do anything. Instead, he starts to cry and he turns his back to me.

"You fucking bastard!" I shout at him, tears starting to form in my eyes.

"Please, don't do it! Please..." Jenny cries out, fearing for her life. But I already know that no amount of pleading will safe her. Either Adam will throw the match, or Brett will. And then he'll probably kill Adam for not doing so. My palms are sweating and my breathing gets louder and louder every second. Praying has never been my thing, but right now, I pray for Jenny to get out of this. Alive.

"Go on." Brett pushes Adam, who holds onto the match with shaky hands. He whimpers softly as the fire dies out, causing for me to sigh in relief. "Listen, you've seen to much." Brett agressively grabs onto his shoulder and pulls him along with him to the other side, where Steve has been tied up. "You either do it now, or you're next." Adam whimpers as he lights on the next match, holding it above the wood once again. "Go on, then." Brett pressures him.

My breathing stops as I watch Adam let go of the match. Jenny cries out for help and I start to scream, "no! Jenny!"

"That fucking stinks." Ricky covers his nose with his hand and looks at the burning fire. But he isn't laughing. No one is. The only one laughing is Brett.

"Fucking look at that!" Brett shouts, jumping up and down while laughing like a maniac. "That was you." He wraps one of his arms around Adam's shoulder who's now on the verge of crying. "That was fucking you, not me."

"Please!"

I hear Jenny scream and I pull onto the rope, harder and harder. Cooper turns away from the scene, a remorseful look on his face. Brett then puts his other arm around Cooper's shoulder. They're shouting, but I can't make out their words anymore. My heart is racing and I hold my breath for a second as I hear the rope snapping. I look around to see none of the boys are paying any attention to me and I get up unnoticed. I bent down and grab the biggest stick I can see. It isn't much and it probably won't be that helpful, but at least it's something. I squint my eyes to see Jenny has freed herself as well. She gets up and runs out from the fire, causing my lips to slightly curl up into a smile. She runs and kicks over the can of gasoline, causing it to spill all over the ground. She grabs a stick and holds it in the flames that are now seperating her from the boys. She takes the now burning stick out of the fire, swinging furiously at them.

I'm about to sprint my way over towards her when I hear her call out to me, "Maysa, watch out!"

I then feel two arms wrap around me as someone pulls me into them, my back against their chest. I look to see it's Ricky and try to fight him, but it's no use. "Jenny, go!" I yell at her.

"No!" She shouts back while continuing to swing around the stick.

"Just go!"

"No!" She shouts once more, this time starting to cry.

"I'll be okay, I promise. Now go!"

She throws down the stick and I sent her a reassuring smile as she does what I told her to do, knowing there isn't anything she can do to help me. She runs. And I smile. She got away.