Chapter 10

A smile is on my face as I'm standing on the beach, looking out at the lake. The waves are crawling gently to the shore, dribbling onto the sand. The wind is blowing through my hair and it is a bit cold, but I don't mind. I spin around, my smile growing when I see Harry standing in front of me. I am about to run towards him and pull him into an embrace, but I hold myself back. Something is different this time. Something feels off. He Looks at me in a strange way, as if he feels regretful. I stay silent, anxiously waiting for him to speak.

"Maysa." He finally decides to look me in the eye, "we can't do this. We can't be friends."

My heart shatters upon hearing this and for a moment I am too stunned to move or speak. I try to get myself together quickly and slowly move towards him, "why? Because of Brett and the others?"

He swallows, before locking his eyes with mine once again, "no... friends are supposed to care for each other. To love each other. And I don't love you."

I reach out my hand to him, slowly touching his shoulder. He winces in pain and shrugs off my hand and his reaction tells me all I need to know. "Did Brett beat you up again? Did he see us?" And now it all makes sense. Yesterday night when I thought I heard something in the woods behind us, when I felt as if we were being watched.

"Didn't you hear me? I don't love you! I don't care about you!"

"Then why are you crying?" I move my hands and gently wipe away his tears.

But he slaps my hand away, "do I really have to say it again?" He raises his voice, scaring me a little, "I don't love you!"

"Harry-"

"No!" He shouts angrily, "all the time we spend together meant nothing to me! You mean nothing to me! I fucking hate you!"

Hot tears roll down my cheeks and I feel as if I can't even move, "H- Harry, please-" I try to reach out to him, but he shoves me back. I stumble backwards, losing my balance and fall onto the sand, landing on my tailbone. I look up at him and get up, dusting myself off. Unlike Brett, he is at least civil enough to actually let me get back up, "how could you do this to me?"

He looks back at me,"remember that day in the alleyway, when I stopped Brett from going after you? When I said that you weren't worth it? I meant it, you are worthless. I don't give a damn about you and I never have. It was all a joke from the very beginning. You never meant shit to me."

The pain that I feel inside of me is growing worse with every word that leaves his mouth and I can't stand to listen to this anymore. So I run. I rush past him, bumping my shoulder against his, tears streaming down my face. I cry out loud and don't even care if there is anyone who can here me. I am beyond caring. I run and run until I finally make it home. Thank god my mother is at work right now or I'd be bombarded with a trillion questions.

I run upstairs and let myself fall onto the bed, where I continue to sob uncontrollably, not able to stop myself, despite feeling a bit embarrassed for my reaction, which most people might think is too dramatic.

How could he do this to me? Was it really all just a joke to him? I stop crying and get off the bed. I turn on the lights and look at my reflection in the mirror. My eyes are red and puffy from the crying and my hair is an absolute mess. I continue to stare at myself with a look of disgust. He's right, I am worthless. I should never have believed, not even for one second, that he could care about someone like me. But while it might not have meant anything to him, it sure as hell meant everything to me.