Chapter 9

Harry lets me lean on him for support while we slowly trudge through the forest. He's decided that he wants to walk me home to make sure that I get there safely, despite my protests. Believe me, I have tried my hardest to get him to let me leave and go home on my own, but he insisted. I take a deep breath and wince as I feel a sudden, stinging pain in my stomach.

"Come, let's take a break." He carefully guides me to a wooden log and sits me down. He takes a seat right next to me, not leaving a lot of space between us, and I turn my head to face him, only now realizing how close we are to each other. His eyes scan my face and he gently removes a single strand of hair, tucking it behind my ear. He moves his hand and touches a little underneath my right eye where Brett had also managed to punch me. I flinch as soon as his fingers make contact with my skin that is now starting to bruise. He softly trails his fingers over my skin, before placing his hand on top of mine. "You are going to be alright, I promise."

I look him in the eyes, ignoring my nerves, wanting, needing desperatly to believe his words, but I'm unable to. Yet, I force myself to smile through the pain.

"Let's go to the beach and watch the skies." I say, completely changing the subject.

He gives me a warm smile, "are you sure you don't just want to go home?"

I chuckle and manage to get myself up, standing up straight, "come on, let's go. Or I'll be going on my own." I grin at him, knowing that he won't allow me to go on my own.

****

The sky is a pitch black blanket dusted with hundreds of shimmering stars, while the pale disk of the moon stands firmly among us. The currently, calm, icy black waves, try to mirror the beautiful sky with the best of it's ability, but it just isn't smooth enough to do it justice.

"It's so beautiful isn't it?"

"Yeah." I respond, not taking my eyes off the pale moon that is shining down upon us. The temperature has cooled down quite a bit and I shiver. My cheeks heat up when I feel him wrap his arms tight around me, pulling me into a warm embrace. I am taken by surprise and don't move, or pull away. I just let him hold me, until I hear twigs snapping loudly somewhere in the woods behind us.

Harry must have heard it too, since he has an alarmed look on his face, but yet he puts up a smile for me, "I think it'd be better if we leave, come on." He stands up and holds out his hand for me. I place my hand in his and he pulls me up from the ground. We leave the beach and all the while, I can't help but to feel as if we are being watched.

****

"Mom!" I close the door behind me, amazed that she is still up at this hour. I skip into the livingroom, unable to wipe the smile off my face. "I'm home!"

"Hey, sweetheart," she has a look of surprise on her face, "why are you so happy?"

I shrug my shoulders, still smiling, "no reason."

She gets up from the couch and walks over to me, ruffling my hair. "Is it a boy?"

If I were drinking something right now, I would've chocked on it. I shake my head and scoff, "no."

"Whatever you say." She gives me a certain look, before returning to the couch.

I shake my head with a laugh and go upstairs, locking myself away in my room, not bothering to turn on the lights. I let myself fall onto the bed and stare up at the ceiling, thinking about what my mother just told to me. She obviously thinks that I have a crush on someone. Unfortunately, I'll have to disappoint her. But she was right about one thing. I am happy. Finally, for the very first time in my entire life, I have made a friend. And to me, that is most definitely something to be happy about. But the happiness is slowly being replaced with anxiety. What is going to happen now? What if Brett, Cooper, Mark, Paige or Ricky find out about our friendship? What will they do to me? Not only to me, but to Harry as well. He is now in as much danger as I am.

I mentally curse myself for ruining the mood. It seems that I can't ever allow myself to feel happy. If there is no one else to destroy my happiness for me, I somehow always manage to do it myself. I roll myself up underneath the blanket and shut my eyes, allowing myself to drift away into a deep and dreamless sleep.