Chapter 6

Cold water is dripping down my skin as I'm sitting down on the towel that I've placed onto the beach. It is not usual for me to swim here, but I haven't seen any of the boys for the entire day, so I thought it was safe enough. This place is perfect. Well, it's perfect as long as Brett and his friends aren't here to ruin everything. I have spend days cleaning up after them, cigarettes and empty beer bottles are often scattered throughout the forest and piled up at the beach.

A wet strand of hair is sticking to my face and I remove it, realizing that for once, I actually feel at peace and not afraid. I look at the sunset, taking in the beautiful colours of the sky. I grab my second towel and wrap it around my shoulders as I continue to watch the sunset, relishing the peace and quiet. It may be strange to some people, but I really enjoy watching the sunset. It is beautiful. Not many people still appreciate nature these days.

My eyes move to the side of my stomach, exposing one of the bruises I have gotten over the past few days. My eyes linger on the bruise for a while and I feel a warm tear roll down my cheek and I wipe it away with the back of my hand, feeling stupid for crying. Crying makes me feel weak and I don't want to be weak. Not anymore. I want to be strong. I have to be strong.

I focus on the sounds of the waves that are crashing against the shore, the wind that is rustling through the leaves of the trees and the birds that are singing, trying to clear my mind a bit. I focus on those sounds so much, that I almost don't realize that someone is sitting down next to me.

Harry.

I don't move away. I don't say anything either. I don't feel the strength to argue with him once again. He doesn't say anything either as I can see he's watching me from the corners of my eyes. I slightly turn my head to look at him and right when I'm about to say something, I stop myself. What am I supposed to say anyways? His eyes slowly trail down my body, and I tighten my grip on my towel, feeling somewhat nervous and a bit uneasy. He doesn't seem to notice my unease, his eyes slightly widening upon seeing the bruises.

"Why are you so surprised?" I ask him, confusion in my voice. "You knew what they have been doing all along, right?"

"I-" He stops and looks down, playing around with the sand, "I did.. I- I just never.."

"Why do you do this, Harry?" I ask him, a sad expression on my face, "I know you don't want to.. that much is obvious. That tough guy you pretend to be when you're around them, that is not who you are."

"You don't know me."

"Then let me get to know you."

My own words take me by surprise. I can't even fully comprehend why I am trying, but I just feel this need to help him. I want to help him. But how can I? I can't even help myself when I'm stuck in a bad situation.

He gives me a sad smile, but doesn't say anything. I shift uncomfortably, not entirely sure of what to do exactly. No words are being exchanged at the moment and to be quite honest, I don't really mind that at all.

You know how sometimes you don't need to talk? How someones presence alone can be enough? This almost feels the same.

"Harry?"

"Hm?"

"Can we be friends? Just for now?"

I instantly regret the words I've spoken, fearing he'll laugh at me and tell his friends about this. I mean, that will give them something to laugh about, that much is sure. But to my surprise and maybe even his own, I can't tell, he lets out a soft chuckle as he turns his head to look at me, a warm smile visible on his face.

"Alright, just for now."

I don't know what's causing me to do this, but I lean against him. I lay my head down on his shoulder, expecting for him to push me away instantly, visibly disgusted. Or to throw some insults at me, he might even hit me. But he doesn't do any of that. Instead, at the moment I'm about to pull my head away, I feel him wrap an arm around me. I slowly close my eyes, allowing my muscles to relax and I am actually starting to feel somewhat comfortable. A warm feeling washes over me as I feel him pull me closer to him. And for once, I feel safe.

Which feels strange to me, I'm really not supposed to feel safe around him. He's not supposed to make me feel this way. Could this be the start of a new friendship?