Chapter 7

I keep running. Even though my muscles ache and my lungs are burning and begging for me to stop, I can't. I have to keep running. I feel the cold breeze blowing through my hair as I run. I turn my head to look behind me and I see that they're almost out of sight. I slide down against the wall of a building in an empty alleyway. A sigh escapes from between my lips and I feel the tears well up in my eyes. I wipe away my tears and stand up quickly. I can't stay here, I need to move on. If I stay here, they might find me. I turn the corner and to my shock, come face to face with Cooper.

"Guy's!" He shouts, "she's over here!"

That bastard! I mumble some curse words under my breath and I try to make a run for it, only for Cooper to hold me back. He slams me against the wall and I wince in pain. And I swear, not even five seconds later, Brett, Harry and Ricky show up. Brett smirks as he looks at me and I feel completely hopeless. I glance around to take in my surroundings, but unfortunately, there is no way out, they have surrounded me.

I feel a tear roll down my cheek and mentally slap myself across the face. I don't want to cry in front of them, yet it happens everytime. I swallow to keep the rest of the threatening tears from falling as Brett steps closer to me. He stops right in front of me, a bit too close for my comfort and I try to take a step back, only to realize that I can't.

He roughly wipes my tears away with his thumb, before slapping me across the face. "What the fuck are you crying for, huh?"

Because you are making my life a living hell for no apparent reason! But I don't speak these words out loud for them to hear. I don't answer at all as I frantically look around in hope of finding a way out of this messed up situation. But there still doesn't seem to be any. My eyes lock with Harry's and I silently beg for him to help me, but he just looks away. I should have known. I should've expected this exact type of reaction from him, yet it hurts me.

"Let go of me." My voice is hoarse as I speak and I look at Brett, trying not to show him how intimidated I feel.

"Where would be the fun in that?" He laughs and soon enough the rest of them laugh along. Even Harry, although he does have a pained look in his eyes.

My eyes move towards him as he steps in front of me, Brett stepping away to make room. He's about to say something, but I don't give him the chance. I act without thinking and punch him in the stomach. He clutches his stomach in pain and I rush past him in a hurry. Ricky reaches out to grab me, but I am able to dodge him and jump out of his reach just in time.

"Hey!" I hear Brett shout angrily. "Where the fuck do you think you're going?"

"Leave it." I hear Harry tell him, "she's not worth it."

I slow down a little upon hearing his words and look back, my eyes locking with Harry's once more, before I quickly regain my composure and get the hell out of there.

****

I'm again watching the sunset when I hear sudden movements behind me. I jump up to see it is none other than Harry. I should be relieved that it's him, but I'm not. I'm furious. I walk straight past him, without giving him any type of acknowledgement. I'm almost past him when I feel him grabbing onto my wrist, "stop."

I scoff, "or else? Are you going to call out for your friends to beat me up again?"

"No, I-"

"Save it!" I slap his hand away. I don't even know why, but I feel betrayed. I shouldn't feel that way though, we aren't friends.

"I wanted to help!" He shouts after me, causing me to spin back around and face him.

"But you didn't." Sighing in defeat, I sit down, playing around with the sand to distract my mind. I feel him sit down next to me and I want to yell at him to leave me alone, but I can't even open my mouth to speak.

"I'm sorry." He apologizes.

I continue to play with the sand as I keep my eyes focused on the ground. "Don't. Your apology is worth nothing. You know why?" I let out a chuckle while I draw little figures in the sand, "because the next day, you'll just be beating me up again." I start to laugh as I feel the tears well up in my eyes. But I won't let them fall, not again. Not with him here. I continue to laugh while I try to ignore the pain in the meantime. I slowly stop laughing and finally look up at him, "go away."

"No." He shakes his head and looks out at the lake. I sigh, but choose not to say anything else. I don't have the strength or energy at the moment. I feel completely drained. I want to be angry at him for refusing to leave, but part of me is happy he's staying. And that part of me, is something that I am starting to hate.