Pick You Up

My hands were shaking so much that it took me about ten minutes to put my earrings in.

The day is finally here. The moment is finally here. This moment that I've been looking forward to for weeks. It was about 3pm. Tom was going to call soon.

I had done everything I needed to do in order to transform into this princess. That's what I wanted to be today. A princess. For once in my life, I could say I was treated like royalty.

My hair was curled. I let it fall to my shoulders for a change, instead of being up in a bun or a braid. My makeup was done correctly. I took a lot of time on it. Unlike my usual paint job.

The last touch to the transformation process, was my dress. The red dress that my mother helped me pick out. I opened the closet and carefully took it out of the plastic protective case.

My hands began to shake even more.

I got it on and slowly walked to the mirror in my bedroom to see the final look.

It was as if i was looking at someone else. Someone who I always wanted to be. I gave a little smile to myself in the mirror.

My phone began to ring and I grabbed it quick. Knowing that it is probably Tom. It wasn't.

"Hello." I said.

"Hello honey! I know you're probably busy but I just wanted to say good luck today at the Art Show! You're going to do great!"

I smiled and took a few deep breaths to calm myself down a but more. "Thank you mom. I love you so much."

"I love you too sweetie." She said.

I looked at the time on the clock in the kitchen. It was 3:26pm. "Alright mom, I do have to go. I'll call you tomorrow to tell you everything! Love you, bye!" I said quickly and hung up the phone.

Just as I did that, The phone rang once again. This time, it was Tom.

"Hello." I answered.

"Ari. I'm here. Meet me at the bottom of the stairs in the lobby. Don't take the elevator." He said.

I smiled. I wasn't going to even ask why. "Okay. I'll be right down.

I grabbed my purse and took one final look at myself in the mirror before I opened the door to my apartment.

As I walked down the hallway and down the three flights of stairs. My heart began to beat fast. I didn't know why, but I felt nervous to greet Tom. More nervous than I was for the Art Show itself. I felt like ever step I went down, I was going slower and slower. When I got to the last flight of stairs, I saw Tom standing at the bottom. He was looking down at his tux. Wiping the lint off of it nervously.

I stopped and watched him fidget with the the lint. He must have been just as nervous. That made me feel better.

He looked really good. And I mean really good. He was freshly groomed. His hair was trimmed and done to perfection. His face looked at smooth as a baby's bottom. And with the black of the tux he was wearing, his whole physique looked, perfect. I'm not exaggerating. He looked perfect.

I marveled over his handsome appearance for only a few moments. Until he looked up from his tux to the stairs to see if I was there. He glanced at the top of the stairs, then back down, then quickly back to me. He did a double take. He looked back up to me, this time his smile was not there and his eyes were wide. Not exactly the reaction I expected. I couldn't tell if he was shocked or mortified. Or maybe both.

I locked eyes with him. "What. What's the matter?" I was praying that he wasn't going to say that the dress was ripped of my makeup was messed up or that my hair was ruined. I looked down to my dress and searched for a rip or a tear. But there was nothing.