Part 15

Mark stayed quiet for the rest of their patrol. When they finally ventured back to the RV, Mark left Zero to his watch outside. Quietly slipping back inside, he headed toward the bedroom in the dark. He had a lot to think about and none of it was pleasant. He felt like an ass. Had he been sheltering Sean? Removing his shoes, he crawled into the bed and huddled himself up in the covers. He felt so alone and yet he refused to let himself cry. Hugging one of the pillows to his chest, he tried to focus on taking deep breaths. He had to be the strong one, because if he wasn't... then who was he? Sleep was hard to come by. He tossed and turned throughout the rest of the night. Then just as a peaceful sleep managed to find him, Sean and Zero were getting up. At some point in the night, Zero had switched with Mari. Leaving Zero to sleep on the couch. Sean climbed down the ladder, waking Zero to ask him hopefully. "Hey, Zero. Can you teach me how to shoot a bow?" Zero sleepily nodded, slipping off the couch to walk him out.

Mark clenched his jaw, but quickly let the jealousy fade. He needed to let Sean go. Although, it was still so painful to feel like he wasn't enough to make Sean happy. Pulling his shoes back on, Mark ventured out to get breakfast. Mari climbed to her feet, bringing him coffee with a soft smile. Accepting it, he mumbled out to her with shame. "Thank you, Mari. I'm sorry for... the way I've been acting." Mari touched his cheek, gently asking him. "Are you ok? Did Zero say something to you?" Mark smirked, answering in a numb voice. "He told me what I needed to hear." Mark placed a hand on her head and ruffled her bangs a bit. Walking off toward the horses, he pet Barney's nose. Mari pulled Chica along as she followed him, asking him with concern. "Mark... Can I tell you something?" Mark sipped his coffee, giving her a shrug as he continued to pet Barney's neck. Mari moved a little closer, openly telling him. "Fighting won't win Sean's heart. He's not that kind of guy. So, maybe... be gentle with him? I know this world right now is cruel and hostile... but you shouldn't be that way with him."

Mark lowered his coffee cup but didn't answer. Mari pulled Chica back over to her chair, adding out sweetly. "We're gathering our supplies and moving closer to the lake. You wanna help me?" Mark finally looked in her direction, asking lightly. "I thought Zero and Jack were going to practice some archery." Mari rolled her eyes, grumbling out. "Oh, they did... Which is why I'm asking for your help. Please?" Mark finished his coffee and nodded. Mark retrieved Becky from the RV, before asking her casually. "Have we found a new RV yet?" Mari nodded, answering curtly. "Ya. Zero showed me before we changed shifts. It is much smaller than this one... but it will use less gas to travel." Mark helped her gather up the supplies that her and Zero used, following along behind her as they pulled them along in red garden wagons. When they arrived by the lake, Mark stopped to take it in. It was beautiful. The lake was surrounded by a natural rock wall that had a small waterfall. Beside the lake, Zero was with Sean helping him shoot at can targets.

Mark's heart twisted watching Zero step up beside Sean to help him aim better. Forcing himself to turn away, he told Mari nicely. "Hey, why don't you stay here with the RV and Chica. I'll bring over the rest myself." Mari raised an eyebrow, asking nervously. "You don't have to do that. I can help you." Mark patted her shoulder, telling her sweetly. "It's fine. I need the workout and... the distraction." Mari's eyes drifted straight to Sean, when she said softly. "Oh. Ok. Just don't over work yourself. I'll get to work putting away all the stuff you bring over." Mark took the wagons without another word and began the mind-numbing task of carting things back and forth. His spirit felt broken but working made him feel useful. As the sun rose higher in the sky, the heat beat down on him. Still he didn't stop. Even when Zero and Sean offered to help, he ignored them. He didn't trust himself to talk. His whole body was just going through the motions. Removing his shirt, he kept working until the sweat was running off him like water.