Part 7

Mark's laugh died down, his gaze going to Chica. Clearing his throat, he told Sean softly. "Well, Chica will snuggle with whomever sleeps on the bottom." Sean tapped his heel against the mini fridge, telling him without looking at him. "I'll take bottom. I wouldn't mind keeping her company tonight." Mark was going to protest, but the air between them still too strained. Nodding, he dropped his stuff in the corner and moved to the ladder. Climbing up to the top bunk, he laid on his back, staring up at the roof in silence. He heard Sean climb onto the bunk beneath, calling Chica onto the bed with him. Glancing through the cable netting guard to see the floor, he let out a silent sigh. He couldn't help feeling like Sean was cracking jokes to hide his pain again. His heart and head stood at opposing sides. His heart wanted to accept that this was their life now. That Sean was here. That Sean loved him. In this hell, comfort was what you made it. It wanted him to accept that he had felt something for him. While his head could only rationalize finding Amy and adjusting to this new life with her.

He wanted to be faithful to her, but whatever was between him and Sean... It was starting to kindle again. Turning over restlessly, he forced his eyes shut. No matter how his mind recalled memories of Amy or what it would be like to see her again. His heart kept tempting him with something more... immediate. It would be just so easy to call Sean up. To kiss him and finally put these torn feelings to rest. Drifting off to sleep, his dreams haunted him. On one hand, he was enjoying a little farm with Sean. He was happy. Life felt bright and peaceful. Then every so often he'd catch a glimpse of a ghostly image of Amy and his heart would ache. It would paralyze him in fear and regret. Would she blame him? Would it make him a horrible person? If she was gone... could he move on? Would she want him to? A loud 'BANG' woke him, spooking the horses into spooked neighs. Mark's body jerked, searching for Becky. He'd left her below. Rushing to the ladder, he practically jumped down and stared out the front windshield with tired eyes.

The heavy drops of rain pattered against the windshield and through the watery glass, he saw lightening. A storm. Feeling tense, he glanced at the lower bunk to see Chica chewing quietly on her toy. Sean wasn't with her. Shaking his sleep away, his heart skipped with fear. Rushing between the seats, he forgot how to breathe. Sean was sitting in the passenger seat with his long legs braced up on the dashboard. Mark released the breath he was holding in relief. Sean didn't look at him, he was staring blankly out the window. Mark put a hand on the seat, asking him breathlessly. "What are you doing?" Sean lifted his chin a bit, answering with a forced small smile. "I couldn't sleep. I used to love the rain and the thunder... Now it terrifies me. I keep staring out there and thinking... It's making too much noise... They'll find us. When did I get like this...?" Mark backed up to sit in the driver's seat, telling him gently. "They don't like the storms anymore than we do. We'll be ok." Sean shook his head, whisper out in a shaky voice. "You don't know that. We keep seeing more and more of these things... Who knows how many different ones there are now. I hate this. There in my dreams, Mark."

Mark rested his arms on his legs, looking out the window as he said softly. "Go lay down, Sean. I'll keep watch." Sean shook his head, tears running down his cheeks. Reaching out, Mark took his arm gently, coaxing him from the seat as he told him comfortingly. "Sean, please go snuggle Chica. You know she doesn't like storms either. Keep her calm for me?" Sean reluctantly dropped his feet, slipping into the back to curl himself around Chica. Mark watched him for a minute. Watching him bury his face in Chica's fur, his body shaking. Looking back at the loud storm, he got comfortable in the seat. Leaning back, his eyes spotted the radio and with a small smile, he started humming to a soft tune that matched the falling rain. He usually didn't hum, but the storm was loud enough to cover it. After a while, he saw the sun rise. The heavy downpour turned to a light rain, the thunder and lightening fading farther out. Glancing in the back, he smirked to himself. Sean and Chica were fast asleep. Taking Becky, he discreetly slipped from the truck and out into the light rain.