C H A P T E R | T W E N T Y O N E {Distracting Collections}

song to ze side >>> and shout out to my supportive and freaking awesome friends who know who they are! GO YOU GUYS!

C H A P T E R | T W E N T Y   O N E

{Distracting Collections}                                           

"I'm just going to pop out for a couple of minutes," Carter's grandma said, "you okay here, pet?" I nodded in reply as she pushed a steaming mug of soup in front of me. "And no need to worry, your Aunt and mum know you were here the night, I called them. Didn't want them fretting now did we? Now that would be plenty awkward." She smiled at me and when she walked past me to leave, her hand squeezed my shoulder gently.  "And, thank you for this. I don't know why you're doing this because last time I recalled you two didn't really settle that... whatever it was... but thank you."

The door slammed shut and I rested my head on the table drawing a deep breath in. My eyelids fluttered close and my skin warmed under the touch of the morning shining through the windows.

I took little sips from the mug and tried avoiding inhaling deeply because the smell of creamed vegetables made me dizzy. Up above I could hear spluttering coughs and footsteps. These footsteps grew louder as they neared the staircase outside the kitchen.

"Yoohoo?"

Standing up, I moved to the bottom of the stairs where a disgruntled Carter peered over the wooden banister at me. I wrapped my arms round myself subconsciously while Carter rubbed his face, but had to stop after he prodded the sensitive skin on his face and swore indiscreetly.

"Your gran just left," I said, looking down at my shoes and the shiny floor beneath them. They were polished and squeaked under my feet. "I think she went for medicine maybe."

Carter gripped the banister and nodded his head where his hair stuck out at frightening angles.

"You should probably go back to bed." I deduced, looking every twenty seconds at his fiery complexion. "Do you need anything?"

"Eh, I don't-" He coughed loudly before walking away quickly, his eyes bulging and with his hand abruptly slapping over his mouth.

I ran up after his groans and sniffing. I stopped in front of the bathroom door that stood slightly ajar, behind it though I could hear Carter vomit and I swallowed tightly. The door gave way beneath my push and there kneeled Carter with his t-shirt sticking to his back as he hurled into the toilet.

Taking a shallow breath, I braved myself and reached out to touch his shoulder but paused as his voice spoke out; "Go, it's-fi-fine," but that was followed by a cough. Once he was done he slammed the lid down and flushed it then leaned against the cool tiles on the floor.

From where I stood, looking down I saw his red eyes and the shadows that stained underneath them. He breathed in and out, his chest heaving rapidly. "Here," I said and outstretched a hand which he stared at. "Carter? Would you prefer to lie on the bathroom floor all day?"

With a sigh- I stepped over him and heaved him up by his elbows, squatting awkwardly to pull him up and support his weight. I soon realised why he was pretty motionless because with every movement his body was slow and wobbled. The heat radiating from him brought sweat to my skin where our bodies touched. I tried to walk him out to his room but he shook his head, "just take a right and in there." He pointed to a different room. When I kicked the door open I found a cosy room with a coffee table, sofa, pillows, a blanket and a TV with a whole distracting library of assorted things behind it. I settled him onto the sofa with a plop.