C H A P T E R | T W E N T Y E I G H T {There We Were}

LONG NOTE AGAIN SORRY

I'm so many chapters in and barely scratched the surface so far shittttt oh my god ahahahaah (kill me now)

guys, if you have ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE COMMENT! :) I would love to answer any questions about the characters, scenes that have happened or just and wondering about what's happened so far. If you need any explanation or help understanding reactions and shit just tell me.

I love that shit. btw guys I'm sorry if this is shit because I don't exactly know what I'm doing- okay well I do but I don't know if i'm doing it well. . .

anyhoo do tell me if you actually like this because I can no longer tell lmao

also song inserted, its pretty much one that perfectly depicts Carter and how he kind of sees Norah which i'm sure is pretty much obvious af oh god haha plus it's stevie wanda so that's good. also gif because bae af

enjoy xo i love you all who bothered to stick around you guys deserve a trophy or something glamorous like a feathered boa. xo

C H A P T E R | T W E N T Y E I G H T

{There We Were}

"Don't start please," Carter stuck his spoon into his trifle, looking disconsolate.

I folded my right leg over my left knee, being careful not to bash it on the low table. "I wasn't, actually." I rolled my eyes and leaned my elbows on the table top.

We had met Carter's mum who was lying in her bed, resting. The events that followed were something I had promised Carter that I would never ever disclose. In my eyes everything went pretty well seeing as his other family members had left twenty minutes before our arrival much to our relief. But to Carter, the visit was an excruciatingly embarrassing and hideous scene.

"You're thinking it." He scowled at me, jamming his food in his mouth.

"You're wrong," I smiled and looked around us. It was quiet in the small but not too shabby cafe opposite the hospital. The only people here were parents with their young bubbly children and a stray handful of people fiddling with laptops and sipping coffee.

Carter and I sat at the back of the cafe, where the lights were soft and the music in the background was a low mumble in my ears.

There was a painting hanging on the wall behind Carter, and I found myself constantly studying it. It wasn't much- just the black silhouette of a bird flitting out of an open cage.

The canvas was large, square and painted over coarsely, so coarsely I could see spots of white under the chocolate brown background.

"Never again," Carter said under is breath, shoving his dessert in the centre of the round table and sliding a spoon beside me. "Want some?"

He kept eating away at the cream, the custard, the tempting red jelly. He didn't look at me as a wave of hunger passed me. Instead he was peering over his shoulder where my eyes were previously trained.

I took the cold metal in my hand and tore through the layers of the trifle carefully.

When I lifted it to my mouth, I thought the acids in my stomach where going to eat away at the lining of my stomach viciously and throw everything right back up.

But it didn't. The spoonful stayed down in my belly and I let out a long exhale.

"How long are we going to be here do you think?" I asked Carter who brought his attention to me at the sound of my voice.