C H A P T E R | F I V E {A Haunting Prospect}

{A Haunting Prospect}

Well, the awkwardness was unbearable to say the least. I actually had a knack for getting into awkward situations. But this wasn't a situation, it was school.

Carter stood next to me in the lunch line and sadly enough, Beth was right beside him. The lunch hall- which we called The Street since it was just a vast amount of space that you entered as soon as you stepped through the school doors, set up with chairs and tables- was buzzing with laughter and chatter. I was vaguely aware of the fact that Mr Sandy was playing Mama Mia through the speakers. I just knew he'd play it sometime that week, he always did.

I shuffled forwards, moving with the rest of the line.

Carter and I still hadn't talked about why I ran off on him so abruptly with my heart beating a mile a second and, to be honest, I didn't want to have to explain anything at all.

Oh God, maybe he'll just not say anything to me...

Yeah. He'll just not talk to me again. Problem solved. No need for explaining...

"Hey, um Norah?"

I closed my eyes briefly and sighed.

Oh God.

My hands started to sweat, "yeah?" I whispered, my back to him.

Carter cleared his throat and I could feel gazes on the back of my neck, one was a neutral type of feeling but the other gaze felt stifling. I was well aware of the fact that Beth was probably hanging on every single awkward word of ours.

"You have to move forwards." He pointed in font of me, at the gaping space that I wasn't too aware of.

I nodded and quickly moved to fill up the space. Well, I guess he wasn't going to mention anything- I sure wasn't going to start the conversation.

I sneaked a glance behind me and my cheeks started to seep with heat when my gaze met Carter's. He looked edgy, as if... one wrong move and I'll flee like a startled bird.

Beth locked eyes with me, her purple eyeliner that made her eyes pop in a strange way, weirded me out. But I was more haunted by the storminess that diluted her pupils and in that moment I felt like I was going to crumble to floor in anticipation.

Once I made it to the front of the line I bought an apple and a bottle of water, not feeling all that hungry. I wanted to get away as soon as I could. I had to go home during lunch hour because mum had called.

And she never called.

Finding a place at an empty table, I settled down and tried to eat my apple, but I was too consumed by the worries of confrontation and the fact that I was missing Art in the afternoon was kind of sad.

When a tray was slammed on the the table it was clear to say that I felt my brain move inside my head as I jumped, startled. With my eyes wide, I groaned internally at Carter and his tray full of food.

"You mind?" He settled down on the seat opposite me anyways.

I shook my head uneasily, my stomach coiling in nerves.

He sat there scoffing down his soup and bread then moved on to his tuna sandwiches, my apple was cool in my hand. I took a small bite. I tried to avoid eye contact by just stating at the table and the left over crisp crumbs from the tables previous users but sadly enough Carter was not going to let me get away with anything.

He started to shove a chip down his throat before finally looking up at me and my apple.

"What the hell?" He laughed, but his eyes seemed to have widened to the size of a golf ball. "Do you want a chip or something?"