C13

I approach the cave and I get a sudden feeling that someone or something is in the cave. I forget it and get into the cave. I look around and get that same feeling.
Chuck: Does anyone else hear that?
Angel: Hear what?
I listen, and I hear nothing. I listen harder and I hear it. The sound of slow methodical but heavy breathing. I listen and use my ear to sense the direction. To our left. The barracks. I grab my weapon tight and creep towards the doorway. I hear my feet touch the ground and my heart beet. I slowly make my way towards the dark room and get close to the door. I quickly go in and point my blaster in the direction of the breathing and squeeze the trigger. I hear a yelp of surprise. I stop a millisecond before pulling the trigger to look into the eyes of a child. A young innocent child, and she looks to only be six years old. She pushes herself against the wall already crying, but she breaks and starts to sob. I quickly drop my blaster and rush to get aid. I pick her up and she kicks, and yells at me.
Me: Calm down, I'm not gonna hurt you
She continues to kick, and I set her down, but I still hold her arm somewhat tight, but I'm still careful to not hurt her. With my free hand I take off my helmet. I toss it aside and move my hands to her shoulder. She still sobs and wails.
Me: See, I'm not a droid, I won't hurt you. You're safe
She simply looks at me and rams into my chest. I expect her to attack me, but instead I feel two small arms wrap around me, and the sobs of the girl. When the initial surprise wares off a gently wrap my arms around her back. She's very skinny, too skinny. Her clothes are ripped and she's shaking both in fear and simply because she's cold. I fall back against the wall and she still has me. After thirty minutes or so the girl calms down and is quickly asleep. I look upon her as I pick her up. I walk into the main room with her in my arms. Everyone looks on at the young girl with surprise.
Chuck: Where the hell did she come from?
Me: Don't know, but I do know that she's terrified
D: I can examine her and see if there's anything wrong with her medically
Me: That's probably a good idea
He starts towards me and takes the girl from my arms. I watch as they enter the green tent, and I then look to my friends.
Me: What do you guys think about this?
Angel: We need to keep her safe. It's the least that we could do. I mean, we are soldiers
Chuck: Soldiers are meant to protect the civilians and complete their objectives
I sigh and look at Chuck and Angel. They're wrong, and I know this. Soldiers are expected to defend those who cannot defend themselves yes, but they are also meant to just do what's right. To make it out alive to fight another day too.
Me: Is that really what you think, or is it just what you were programmed to think?
Chuck: E-Excuse me?
Me: Chuck... we are programmed to fight and die on the battlefield and just be made again basically. We are clones, we aren't real people, and while we aren't real people, we still think. They program us to think what we think, and we were programmed to blindly follow orders. It's just who we are, we are nobody, we are expendable
Angel: Ace?
Me: Why do you think that we haven't been found yet?
They have no response. They just look forward. I remember the songs that I'd listen to on the holotapes. I'm different, and I listened to different music. Three Days Grace was always my favorite. The song they made "Just Like You" is actually what had encouraged me to be different from the others, and not go down a seemingly mapped life. Before anything else is said D enters the room again.
D: She is in horrible condition. Poor girl can't speak well because of strep, eyes are so damn red because of dehydration, she has a fever that's off the charts, and she is also starving. She isn't going to last a week.
I look into the sad, broken, swollen eyes of the poor girl and notice the time. It's been a few hours and nobody has said anything. I shut up and head to my bed and sleep.